• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those of us in the colder winter climates...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: For those of us in the colder winter climates...

50 degrees or warmer, I just do a normal two bucket wash with a mitt. In the 40's and higher 30's I switch from a mitt and use a Montana Boars Hair Brush and a pole with the two bucket method and dress warm/dry: water resistant boots, lined nylon pants, nylon pullover over a sweat shirt and neoprene gloves. Mid 30's and below, the hose doesn't come out. I put the car in the non heated garage and wash with Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine with the two bucket method, use the Boars Hair Brush on a pole and dress warm.

One thing that helps is that if I have just driven the car and the engine is warm, that will warm up the garage atleast ten degrees (probably more I have never measured it). Also, after getting into the washing, I often will have to take my sweat shirt off and just wear a long sleave shirt because body heat starts building up with the garage door closed. Once finished and the garage door opens; an over whelming cold comes back in the garage and the sweat shirt goes back on.

Comment

I go to the coin wash and get the salt off...do not touch the car with anything until I can do a proper job in the driveway

Comment

I bought ONR two weeks ago but haven't had a chance to use it yet. It's supposed to be -10F in the next couple of days so it isn't looking much better either

Comment

Winter is harsh
          Nick
          Tucker's Detailing Services
          815-954-0773
          2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

What is this QEW?

Comment

QEW= Quick Exterior Wash is my guess? I'm not sure though.
              Matt

Comment

I usually wait until it gets up to around 50 or so. We don't get too terribly cold winters here in Tennessee, so I usually don't have to wait for more than 2 weeks before we get a "nice" day and I can wash my car.
                Shane
                1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

The QEW is a major highway linking Buffalo to Toronto.

Comment

I wash it just the same.

Comment

Originally posted by MyFirstES300 View Post
                      What is this QEW?
                      Protect All's Quick and Easy Wash. Very similar to ONR but I think ONR is a little better.

Comment

My name is Tonna Carlo, Winning Attractions Street Rod Customizing. I was on the Discovery Channels, Monster Garage build team 16- WEDLOCK. I have produced over 44 Best In Show Winning Customer Owned Vehicles in all these years and hav'nt attempted to keep track of their class placements. I started my life with my Mom at Lions Dragstrip and it was her and Ed Roth that gave me my start. Later I was at Barris House Of Custom when it was accross from the Stonewood Shopping Center. Then Art Sommers started me in Pinstriping when he was in LA in a small 2 car garage. I guess the rest is history. I am now working on Chuck Liddel's 4x4 Iceman Truck and Rod Karpenian of Quick Cut Sanders came over so as to get me set up with some new products and get some shots of Chucks Truck. Soon be done with the airbrushing and the tilt bed then it is heading to the SEMA event in 2010.
                        Well, Guess that is it for the Intro.....Thanx, Tonna
                        I wash it in my shop then out in the pouring rain then back in for the Sham N Dry. In Washington your in a constant car wash anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden View Post

a hot water hookup in the garage.

A hot water heater can have a lot of mineral deposits, meaning the water will heavily leave water/mineral spots all over the car.

Comment

I cant stand to see a dirty black car so I have to wash it no matter what. But then again it dosent really get to cold in Vegas anyways.
                            Practice doesn't make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack"
                            2011 Jet Black 328i Touring
                            2007 Jet Black 335i Sedan

Comment

My car goes under covers as soon as the snow flies. No washing until she hits the road in mid April/early May.
                              I got so mad at a girl who was texting while she was driving,that I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her

Comment

I suffer.
                                I'll hit up the coin operated pressure washing bays down the street.
                                They recently added a touchless automatic car wash around the corner from me as well, I might give that a try.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');