• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying and removing wax in cool/cold weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying and removing wax in cool/cold weather

Should I be leary of waxing a black vehicle outdoors in temps that will be in the mid to upper 40s. The car is a very very very expensive piece. I plan on using Meguiar's NXT I would hate to have a problem removing the wax.

Re: Applying and removing wax in cool/cold weather

As long as the surface stays cool to the touch, I would think you shouldn't have any problems.
    Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Well, waxing in the cold can get interesting, but it can be done. Staying above 40 degress is best though.

The worst thing is the general dampness, which can lead to streaking. However, it isnt something that will ruin paint, so sont worry. The worst thing is to press to hard, and work to hard to remove the streaks, as you may mar the paint.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I would stick with #26 and/or #20 in those temperatures! With most other sealants you may have issues with the product drying to a haze. If you use NXT the paste will probably work better for you. For me the NXT paste dries much more quickly than the liquid.

Of all the above LSPs, the #20 is really the best suited for cold weather!!!!!!

RamAirV1
        2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
        2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I've used #26 in 40dF weather and it did not cure properly. I had to clay and wax again just a couple of days later.
          Mr. Miyagi says: "Wax on, wax off"

Comment

Originally posted by black240sx View Post
            I've used #26 in 40dF weather and it did not cure properly. I had to clay and wax again just a couple of days later.
            What happened? Did it streak? Maybe you didn't let it dry long enough. If you had to wax a few days later you probably did not need to clay. A paint cleaner like DC#1 would have been easier.

It is entirely possible that #26 doesn't dry easily enough at 40. I have used it in 50 degree temps and it was fine. In your case then #20 would be your only option.

RamAirV1
            2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I recently applied #21 synthetic sealant in 30*F weather and experienced no problems to speak of. It went on and came off just fine. As long as the humidity is relatively low, I'd think that you would have similar results.
              2004 Ford F250 SuperDuty Crew 6.0L Diesel - Black
              2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 - Dark Shadow Gray

Comment

Dampness? Bless, its only 20% humidity where im at.. And its around 30 degrees!!
                Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

So if I get this straight using liquid NXT will not be a good idea in these kinds of temps. The only other wax I have handy is The Wax Shop's super glaze, would that work?

Comment

so to get things clearer..... I too would like to wax outside when its in the 40 degree farenht. temperatures.....

is it better to (easier to wipe off by hand) use ColorX rather than NXT liquid wax?

p.s. what is #20, someone said that it is better suited to apply in colder weather?.....is it a cleaner wax or the last step wax?

Comment

Originally posted by RamAirV1 View Post
                      What happened? Did it streak? Maybe you didn't let it dry long enough. If you had to wax a few days later you probably did not need to clay. A paint cleaner like DC#1 would have been easier.

It is entirely possible that #26 doesn't dry easily enough at 40. I have used it in 50 degree temps and it was fine. In your case then #20 would be your only option.

RamAirV1
                      The #26 applied and removed without (apparent) problem. A couple of days later I was out driving in winter conditions for a total of about 4 hours and my car got covered with the usual winter grime. I tried to wash it off, I actually washed it twice, but it would not come clean. I ended up using clay and then waxing again, only this time I parked my car in the sun to get the surface warmed a bit. That made a difference and I did not have the problem again.
                      Mr. Miyagi says: "Wax on, wax off"

Comment

Well just completed my cold weather waxing of a black car. I used Meguiar's Liquid NXT. The cars surface was perfect no prep needed other than a wash. I waxed and used a micro-fiber towel to buff and it took some hard elbow grease to get the wax off especially the hood and trunk. The temp was 45-degrees and there was no sun.

I would have to say NXT is not an easy wax to use in cold weather.

Comment

When we train all of our reps at Meguiar's this is always a test question. Good topic for discussion every year around this time.

Meguiar's does not recommend using any of our products in temperatures below 55 degrees. This does not mean if you do your paint will suffer any real damage. This is simply a safe guide to inform you of how the products will work best. Any colder than 55 degrees and you definitely run the risk of difficulty in application and removal. This may vary anywhere from "It took me an hour and a half to wipe off" to "I can't get this wax off with a hammer and chisel".

This forum is a great place because you get to hear real world stories from many members about their personal experiences. I for one appreciate it because as you probably know Meguiar's is located in So Cal where you can take your dog to the beach on a weekend in December, which by the way, I did last Saturday. I need to hear and learn from the real enthusiasts out there braving the harsh conditions to care for their rides. Thanks for your input guys, but just to reinforce Meguiar's cannot recommend you attempt this in weather any colder than 55 degrees.
                          Brian Hann
                          Manager - Meguiar's Solutions Hub
                          Meguiar's Inc.
                          Irvine, California
                          bhann@meguiars.com
                          (800) 854-8073 *3870

Comment

Brian-
                            Thank you for your information. I understand Meguiar's suggest using their products in temps over 55-degrees. As I stated above I used NXT in 45-degrees and had a difficult time. With this understood are there any other products / brands that may work better in these cold temps?

Comment

Originally posted by DonC View Post
                              Brian-
                              Thank you for your information. I understand Meguiar's suggest using their products in temps over 55-degrees. As I stated above I used NXT in 45-degrees and had a difficult time. With this understood are there any other products / brands that may work better in these cold temps?

#20 is best for cold weather, no contest!

RamAirV1
                              2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');