• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to judge a local (self wash) car wash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to judge a local (self wash) car wash?

Now that winter is here, I need an alternative to washing my car in the driveway. There is a place a few blocks away where you wash it your self with a wand (no touch. just the pressure from the hose). There is a dial with a whole bunch of choices of rinse/soap/extra-soap/soap-wax/wheels/tires/engine ... on and on it goes with descriptions much more vague than mine.

This place seams to be a one off as it has no brand name. So I am trying to decide if leaving the car dirty for a while is worse than using their wash (as their chemicals for cleaning may be very harsh.) If/when we get days above freezing, I'll try to wash the car in the driveway, but those days are few and far between during the season.

So how does one judge on of these places? Maybe their chemicals aren't so bad, but I'd hate to use the place and strip off all my NXT wax just as winter is starting.

They have the same "no bucket" policy as most of these type of places so it would probably be risky just using their water and my Meguiar's products.

Re: How to judge a local (self wash) car wash?

Originally posted by rqk View Post
    Now that winter is here, I need an alternative to washing my car in the driveway. There is a place a few blocks away where you wash it your self with a wand (no touch. just the pressure from the hose). There is a dial with a whole bunch of choices of rinse/soap/extra-soap/soap-wax/wheels/tires/engine ... on and on it goes with descriptions much more vague than mine.

This place seams to be a one off as it has no brand name. So I am trying to decide if leaving the car dirty for a while is worse than using their wash (as their chemicals for cleaning may be very harsh.) If/when we get days above freezing, I'll try to wash the car in the driveway, but those days are few and far between during the season.

So how does one judge on of these places? Maybe their chemicals aren't so bad, but I'd hate to use the place and strip off all my NXT wax just as winter is starting.

They have the same "no bucket" policy as most of these type of places so it would probably be risky just using their water and my Meguiar's products.
    Yup that *****. I have yet to find out if the two local ones here have that policy and Im hoping that they dont. Chicago streets are heavily salted and I would say that using those chemicals is better than letting your car rust from the salt.
    2005 Toyota Camry LE Phantom Grey Pearl
    2001 Toyota Corolla LE Silverstream Opalescent
    1996 Lexus ES300 Ruby Pearl

Comment

You may not have one in your area, but the east coast has a chain called Delta Sonic, and they have the best no touch laser washes I've ever been through, and they don't use the typical high alkaline washes that most touchless places use. Or find a Turtle Wax Touchless place, I haven't used one but I hear they are very good.
      I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Originally posted by gbackus View Post
        You may not have one in your area, but the east coast has a chain called Delta Sonic, and they have the best no touch laser washes I've ever been through, and they don't use the typical high alkaline washes that most touchless places use. Or find a Turtle Wax Touchless place, I haven't used one but I hear they are very good.
        I look on their site and there are some in the Chicagoland area but none close to me. Id have a long drive to clean my car.

Comment

I use a similar place in the winter and just bring my own bucket for soap and a mitt. I figure hey I have to pay twice ($2 each time) to rinse the first time, soap up the car with my stuff and then pay again to use their rinse again.

I usually try to go at night when no one is around and I have a fire going in the garage so nothing freezes. Plus I keep the bucket in front of the car so someone walking through the bay might not see it. I say go with a bucket with some soap, use their water to rinse and fill up the bucket and then pay again to rinse. Even when I used their brush I still couldn't wash the whole car in just one cycle so I think it evens out.
          "Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week." Jay-Z

Comment

Originally posted by Deaner5 View Post
            I use a similar place in the winter and just bring my own bucket for soap and a mitt. I figure hey I have to pay twice ($2 each time) to rinse the first time, soap up the car with my stuff and then pay again to use their rinse again.

I usually try to go at night when no one is around and I have a fire going in the garage so nothing freezes. Plus I keep the bucket in front of the car so someone walking through the bay might not see it. I say go with a bucket with some soap, use their water to rinse and fill up the bucket and then pay again to rinse. Even when I used their brush I still couldn't wash the whole car in just one cycle so I think it evens out.
            Thats a good idea but about the fire, I think thats pushing it. It would draw attention. I like your idea about the bucket in the front of the car though. Also I like to take my dad and my brother with and we do all three cars. 3 guys on one car can go pretty fast and sometimes (like on my smaller car) we can finish it in one cycle.

Comment

There is something that is called Optimum No rinse wash(ONR), another by the name of Quick and Easy Wash(QEW), and DP makes one as well. You can do this in the confort off your own garage or a friends = ]

Its a wash technique where you go panel by panel and wash off dirt and then dry them, it saves time doesnt swirl your car and is the ONLY way I wash my car now. best part is on average uses about 2-5 gallons of water total.

Here are a couple walk thoughs how to do it:

Using Microfiber towels only:

Using Wash mitts and MF towels:

and another MF type:

I personally perfer ONR vs QEW but definatly try them both out.
              Once you get used to this its they only way you are going to want to wash
              I <3 The Klasse Twins

Comment

QEW seems to be working great! Currently I dont feel like spending that much on just a car wash soap. Ill have to sneak my buckets in somehow for now. Also I dont see why we cant use our own buckets. Not like we are ripping them off. If at anything we are saving them money by not using their soaps.

Comment

I think there is an American Pride self car wash around here (they may be ok, I don't know), but it is a few miles away. I was hoping the place a few blocks away that I mentioned would work out because the further away you have to go, the dirtier the car gets on the drive back.

I kind of have a double whammy besides the cold ... no garage, so even the fine sounding minimum water washing techniques wouldn't work out .

I'll probably just break down and use the local place.

Comment

The local wash allows me to use my own materials as long as I keep putting money in the machine (keep the meter running).
                    Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
                    Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

I know this isnt right but just wash with your own materials late at night or early in the morning and nobody even cares really...some of the ones in San Diego arent even monitered
                      Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Is it a new enough car that you could go and ask the salesperson at the dealership you bought it at if you could wash it there once in a while? I did this a couple times with a Cadillac I owned a few years ago.

JRau in central Iowa
                        It's GREAT going Cadillac!
                        The Standard of the World.

Comment

Yeah, late night might be the best, at least if they are friendly and no one else is waiting at all.
                          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                            no one else is waiting at all.
                            I think that is the key, if you do it with your own stuff mid-day, people arent going to come as soon as they see someone sitting there washing their car by hand...late-night no body is there anyways.
                            Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Originally posted by rqk View Post
                              I'll probably just break down and use the local place.
                              I did some research on this QEW and it seems to be working wonders. Saw some pics and all and it looks to be a great product and people here reccomend it so I say use that if you have the money for it. I dont so Im stuck :p.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');