• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing Out Fresh Clear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing Out Fresh Clear

I use PPG 2042 speed clear over artwork on motorcycle parts. About 48 hours after painting, the parts are sanded to 2000 grit, polished with M-84, then 82 using the G100. Reading here, the 84 isn't the ticket. It's very slow but my results have been good. I tried the 83 but, in my very unprofessional experience, found that the 84 worked better. Set me straight, PLEASE!

Re: Polishing Out Fresh Clear

Hey, whatever works, works.

You normally wouldn’t use #84 with the G100 because there’s a good chance of hazing out an initially glossy finish (and many folks would stop there and panic) and it might be difficult to remove the hazing. Since you’re working a sanded surface hazing isn’t the issue. The issues are whether or not the process is aggressive enough to remove sanding scratch and then if you can work it to final gloss.

#83 is the most aggressive product recommended for the G100 but neither is intended to remove sanding scratch.

If what you’re doing is working for you and your paint system that’s what counts. (Also, if something goes very wrong you’re in a position to sand it all off and start again. So you have a lot of freedom to experiment.)

It’s not surprising that the #84 is slow for you. To remove sanding scratch you’d normally use #84 or the more aggressive #85 with a rotary.

PC.
    Last edited by the other pc; Nov 29, 2006, 04:17 PM. Reason: same same

Comment

Two things,

The dual action polisher is not effective, (in most cases), for use to remove sanding marks because it has a clutch that stops the spinning motion when too much pressure is applied. Removing sanding marks means removing paint, in order to remove paint you need a buffing pad moving across the surface to effectively abrade and remove small particles of paint.

The rotary buffer because it's a direct drive tool is very effective at removing paint, the dual action polish is not. The dual action polisher is safe and gentle to paint, these are the reasons enthusiasts like it, they learn that it is a tool that won't burn through their paint or instill swirls, but the reason it won't do these things is because it's safe and gentle.

When removing sanding marks you want something that is the opposite of safe and gentle, you want a tool with some power, unstoppable power and that's the rotary buffer.

2) M84 uses diminishing abrasives that require the power of a rotary buffer to effectively work against the paint to remove paint and break the abrasives down.

You might look into getting a rotary buffer if you're going to be doing this a lot, if it's just a one time paint job, then maybe you can borrow one from someone.

when you go to buff out a gas tank, unless you have a special jig to hold it or it's mounted to the bike, you'll want to find someone with strong arms and that you trust to hold the tank while you do the buffing.

Kind of like the way this young man is hold this guitar while it's being buffed so the guitar doesn't end up on the floor.

If you're going to continue with the dual action polisher then you can try spending more time with the M83 cleaner/polish.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by road hog View Post
        Set me straight, PLEASE!
        Bring you gas tank to the event we're holding here at Meguiar's on Tuesday night, December 5th and we'll help you buff your paint to perfection. Might as well bring your fenders too if you've painted them.

Support Our Troops - Tuesday, December 5th, 2006
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');