• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to bring back the old shine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to bring back the old shine?

Well I simply put, the car had spray paint that somehow got onto it and then afterwards, was wet sanded in an attempt to take it off (don't ask...long story). I like to think of this car as a test subject for when I get my next car since this one is beat up around the edges. The paint has been on there for a long time now and has no shine except for what the wax may provide...which is a big distraction concidering the rest of the car has a really good shine to it dispite the swirl marks.

My question is how can I go about bringing back the glossy shine that the rest of the car has. I've tried washing/claying (with the consumer grade clay) which did nothing to it. Can this be done by hand since I do not have the money for a buffer, or should I start saving for one. What materials should I expect to buy in both cases?

This is a picture of the passanger side which has a fairly good shine to it.

These are the best pictures I have to show the lack of shine on the drivers side doors.

Re: How to bring back the old shine?

well that looks like a job for a rotary buffer. however you can try using a medium grade professional clay (or aggressive clay) to try to get out all the spray paint that has been left over.
    After that, if you're familiar with the hand compounding process, go on for it. try using 3M rubbing compound, and follow it up with a good swirl mark removing polish like M83 or perfect it swirl mark remover from 3M. after that follow it with a wax.

IMO i think the picture you took to the door has some panit failure. if it doesn't, then go on with this process and hope the shine comes back.

good luck! and hope this info helps you!
    " Sometimes logic is your friend (Mike-In-Orange)"

Comment

Originally posted by Chex View Post
      well that looks like a job for a rotary buffer. however you can try using a medium grade professional clay (or aggressive clay) to try to get out all the spray paint that has been left over.
      After that, if you're familiar with the hand compounding process, go on for it. try using 3M rubbing compound, and follow it up with a good swirl mark removing polish like M83 or perfect it swirl mark remover from 3M. after that follow it with a wax.

IMO i think the picture you took to the door has some panit failure. if it doesn't, then go on with this process and hope the shine comes back.

good luck! and hope this info helps you!
      What do you mean Paint Failure?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf-Strong View Post
        What do you mean Paint Failure?
        What Chex means is it looks like the clear coat has and is deteriorating past the point of no return.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Oh...well that does not sound good. When I get the money I will definatly try this. I definatly think the clear is probably dead. I was hoping that perhaps a glaze or such might put a shine there.

Also, would the PC Random Orbital buffer work or does it not create enough heat to do this job?

Comment

since its an old car maybe u can go to a junkyard and find better shape doors in the same color and then buff that out instead

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');