• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orange peel...???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange peel...???

Orange peel ????
    So this guy at work tells me that my car is covered with it........I don't know what he means since he left early so I couldn't actually have him ponit it out, now I'm searching to see any pictures you guys may have posted with this condition.....IMO I think he is talking about something else, more like water spots since I had detailed the car a few days ago and it rained and these drops dried with the noon sun...but now I have this long weekend to WORRY...if I'm not actually seeing it....any links...?

Thanks and Happy 4th!!!

Speed safely........

Pics of Moco II
    Pics of Chula

Orange peel is a term to describe a paints condition -- look at your finish and if it looks like an orange peel [skin], thats it. Short of a new paint job i don't know what can fix it.

Comment

Orange peel looks like the surface of a orange it is not an easy object to photograph. a good example would be to look at something that has a straight edge to it in the reflection off the car.(ex roof line, telephone lines,street lights and utility poles) the line would look like a wave on the surface of a pond. this is the best way i can describe "orange peel"

In this photo look at the edge on the roof this is how "orange peel" will reflected.
      Rich
      If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
      DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

Orange peel is refering to the texture. Like mentioned its like the texture of an orage peel, hence the name. the difference is like the difference between the texture of glass and the skin on an orange. 99% of paintjobs have some form of orange peel unless they are wet sanded to remove it after the paint is cured. Some are worse than others but just about all new cars have some degree of orance peel unless they are very high end or custom painted.

Hope that helps
        If you dont play you CANT win!

Comment

Hey,

I agree with the others. As Brian said, most new cars will have orange peel to a certain degree. A car could be wet sanded. But that is very difficult with some OEM paints, and will require someone quite advanced with the rotary buffer to remove the sanding marks.

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Laying down paint unevenly. There are many factors that cause this uneveness. The factors are stuff like air pressure for paint gun, speed of painter's application... This condition usually affects the top coat and thus would need wet sanding and buffing to fix. Kind of reaching here. I'm not a painter. I just wax 'em!
            Last edited by scrub; Jul 4, 2004, 07:13 PM.

Comment

temperature, air pressure, distance from the surface, wha t reducer they used, how much reducer...the list goes on and on.

A good painter can lay down a nice painjob with minimal orange peel, nice enough most people would be happy with it. Most show cars you see have been color sanded to remove the orange peel. The chevelle in my sig was wetsanded to make it smooth as glass!
              If you dont play you CANT win!

Comment

Originally posted by Beercan31

In this photo look at the edge on the roof this is how "orange peel" will reflected.
                Thanks all for the responses and with this picture I understand completely the term, so in a way my friend is right, I do have orange peel on my hood and front fenders due to having had them repainted after a seagull decided to end his flight bouncing off the hood of my car..... ...but that is another topic...

And the other spots I thought were covered with this condition on my car were just water spots.....

Thanks, merci, arigato....gracias.....
                Speed safely........

Pics of Moco II
                Pics of Chula

Comment

If you truly have orange peel, then wetsanding is the only way you are going to get rid of it. Fords are notorious for having orange peel from the factory. I have not heard of being able to get rid of it using a pc due to the uneven surface of the paint. Members, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Good luck Beginner!
                  Lee

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');