• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips, tricks, and tools to make washing faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips, tricks, and tools to make washing faster

Here's the deal - I like to keep my car clean and shiny but I hate spending so much time washing it.

It takes me an average of 2.5 - 3 hours to wash my car. This includes washing the visible parts of the undercarriage and wheel wells, rims/tires, the body then drying and clean up.

I do everything by hand with an array of different products from Meguiar's.

Other than doing this warp speed, there's got to be something that I can do to speed up this process. Ideally I wouldn't want it to take more than an hour if possible.

I wash my car when I have a few extra hours to spare and it isn't that often that I have that time. I used to wash it every week, but now it's more like once a month.

What can help me streamline this process?
    -Dennis/FromThisSoil

If anyone is in need of a company logo or flier design, don't hesitate to ask for help.
    I can accommodate any budget.
    To see a few samples of my work just PM me.

Re: Tips, tricks, and tools to make washing faster

Details take time, and there's no substitute for time.

I take about the same amount of time on a wash because it's relaxing for me. It gives me time to think about other things, what I'd like to do to my car, what needs to be done with anything. Some people meditate/do yoga/jump in the spa/walk.

For me, it's washing the car.

For faster washing, I'd look into a air compressor to blow out excess water when drying.
    -Brad
    Shine Masters Pasadena, CA
    shine-masters.com

Comment

It really comes down to how dirty the vehicle is. One that is well maintained takes significantly less time than one that only receives a wash on a monthly basis. I think that using a foam gun speeds the process as well as some type of device for blowing out the crevices. Compressor, Shop Vac (not specifically this brand), Vac & Blo. These all would cover the crevice cleaner part of this post. The right brushes are also really time savers. A wheel well brush, curved tire brush. Scrubbing dirty tires can really eat into your wash time. I also like to put a good tire cleaner on before starting the wash and let it soak before getting to the scrubbing. I use some of the stronger products for this purpose. There are tons of tire cleaners out there, others may not like these types of chemicals and I would suggest not getting them on your paint or rims but Bleche White or Simple Green (undiluted) work well at getting the tires started. I usually follow up with a household cleanser like Ajax or Comet with a stiff bristled brush. Using the chemicals first makes this process go much faster. Using the 2 bucket method with Grit Guards will also save you from changing your wash bucket mix mid stream. Use a couple of mitts, no sense in having one hand not doing something. 2-3 hours seems a little excessive but doing it right isn't a 30 minute job. It takes me an hour to do my SuperCrew.
      *No Applause, Just Throw Money!*

Comment

Originally posted by GTBrad View Post
        agreed. i rather take a little longer and do a good thorough job (take me about an 1-1/2 hours), than rush and do it half a$$.

I take about the same amount of time on a wash because it's relaxing for me. It gives me time to think about other things, what I'd like to do to my car, what needs to be done with anything. Some people meditate/do yoga/jump in the spa/walk.
        yep, when i get done jogging i wash the car and it settles/relaxes me...

Comment

Are you working by yourself? The best time saver I have is a partner. Hubby and I can wash, dry, dress, and all that in just over an hour. Our car is smaller though, Mustang. By myself, it would take close to 3 hours like you.

Do you have a partner? Wife, husband, girlfriend...etc. Or perhaps a buddy that would like to come over and get away from something? Washing with someone else is fun. Hubby and I have a system down so that we're not in each other's way and everything is done efficiently.

Find a buddy!

Comment

Originally posted by Tillmanator View Post
            Are you working by yourself? The best time saver I have is a partner.

Find a buddy!
            Please! I am constantly offering to wash her car for her and she doesn't want me to because she'd rather be spending time with me. Her version of a car wash is driving fast in a rain storm!

As someone suggested above, I am using the two bucket method already with the grit guards and I do have a good array of brushes, etc. That stuff is already saving me time, no doubt.

My ride can get pretty dirty since I drive 100 miles a day round trip to work. I put 24,000 miles on it in one year! The foam gun is a good idea, I think I'll pick one up. Does anyone have any suggestions?
            -Dennis/FromThisSoil

If anyone is in need of a company logo or flier design, don't hesitate to ask for help.
            I can accommodate any budget.
            To see a few samples of my work just PM me.

Comment

I just dont see how you all take 3 hours to wash a car? It takes me a max of 1.5hours to wash my Jeep. I can even do a quik wax in that time period! I would say a body brush would speed things up. I have one on order but Im alittle unsure if Im going to use it on my jeep. I may just use it on the roof since its so tall(darn lift and tires)..

Not to sure how you dry the car, but this step seems to take the most time. Ive cut my drying time in half by drying my jeep with three water magnets. I go over the wet places really quick with one then go over it again with a good dry one. Works out great..
              Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
              Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

For me, it's washing the car.

For faster washing, I'd look into a air compressor to blow out excess water when drying.
                You are not alone! Takes me 2.5 to 3 hours too! Drying takes more time than the actual wash. Can't have any water spots!

RamAirV1
                Last edited by RamAirV1; Nov 4, 2006, 09:52 PM. Reason: spelling
                2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I also spend bout 2 - 3 hours washing and waxing my car. I guess it's just normal for proper detailing. But this is on Sunday only when I have the time. If wash alone without much detailing then bout 30 mins. During the week usually Wed I just was it. To mantain it. Or if I don't really have the time then I just take it to the car wash. Hehehe. But it has to be a hand car wash not the machine one. But I don't like to as the car wash shop usually uses not so good shampoo. Some shop after I wash it, the wax is gone or maybe left a bit.

Comment

I agree with the above statements about the time required to wash my car. It takes me about 2 - 3 hours to wash my Thunderbird, and ironically the same amount of time to wash the Explorer. However, I really get down and dirty with the 'Bird, for obvious reasons... It's my toy!
                    As expressed above, I enjoy it. It's my time to think, my own little get away.
                    I did read about a little tip to speed up drying which I found works very well.
                    After the final rinse, I take the sprayer off the hose and douse the car with the hose. It does making drying quicker. But nothing can make the task of getting into the front grill and individually drying each opening, any faster.
                    Yes, it drives my wife crazy sometimes, and the neighbors look at me funny on occasion, with the "You're going to wipe the paint off that car!" nonsense, but hey, it's the way I feel after it's all done. I love it!
                    2002 Ford Thunderbird Premium Torch Red

Comment

Prairie, I see your lovely 'Bird in your avatar. In your sig it mentions an '07 Mustang! Please post a pic. I would LOVE to see it. You have two of my favorite cars of all time.

Or are pics in your gallery? Do you have one? Want to see, want to see!

Comment

Originally posted by Tillmanator View Post
                        Prairie, I see your lovely 'Bird in your avatar. In your sig it mentions an '07 Mustang! Please post a pic. I would LOVE to see it. You have two of my favorite cars of all time.

Or are pics in your gallery? Do you have one? Want to see, want to see!

Thanks man! I loved your 'Stang too!! My Mustang is on order, waiting for her to come in sometime in January. At your suggestion, my fisrt gallery is up. Thank you! You've made my Buddy List!

Comment

Originally posted by Prairie360 View Post
                          Thanks man! I loved your 'Stang too!! My Mustang is on order, waiting for her to come in sometime in January. No gallery yet, but I'm working on it and will let you know. You've made my Buddy List!
                          Which Version and configuration Mustang do you have on order?

We are on the list for an '07 Shelby,,,,but of course it may not be fulfilled this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamicd View Post
                            Which Version and configuration Mustang do you have on order?

We are on the list for an '07 Shelby,,,,but of course it may not be fulfilled this year.
                            The California GT model with all the goodies. They have a Shelby at the dealer I bought mine from, but I'm sorry, I refuse to pay $76000 for it.
                            I'd personally rather have a Corvette Z06 for that kind of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairie360 View Post
                              The California GT model with all the goodies. They have a Shelby at the dealer I bought mine from, but I'm sorry, I refuse to pay $76000 for it.
                              I'd personally rather have a Corvette Z06 for that kind of money.
                              Back in 1969 my brother purchased a GT 500 and ever since then I've been hooked on Shelby Mustangs. I agree about the price tag, but it's a little deeper than that with me. Worse case scenario, we get the Rousch. Right now we have the '05 Mustang (non GT we couldn't get one at the time) and It brings me right back to 1970.

I was also part of the Muscle Car era,,,,,,,,and I have that kicking me in the pants too! Did you see the Dodge Challenger Concept car that they might bring back? Did you say this was your first Mustang?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');