Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Love bugs

Registered Member

Question Love bugs

Anyone know how to safely remove love bug juice from paint? These bugs (in Florida) are very difficult to remove. I have tried washing, bug and tar removers, paint cleaners and clay. I have tried using #83, #80, body scrub and Scratch X to remove the defect, but I cannot get it 100% off. It is an above the surface defect that can be felt with the finger and can be visualized. Any suggestions?

Re: Love bugs

Start by keeping a good coat of wax on the finish. I heard the wetten dryer sheets work well to remove them as weel.
    You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Quote Originally Posted by 3JBS View Post
    Anyone know how to safely remove love bug juice from paint? These bugs (in Florida) are very difficult to remove. I have tried washing, bug and tar removers, paint cleaners and clay. I have tried using #83, #80, body scrub and Scratch X to remove the defect, but I cannot get it 100% off. It is an above the surface defect that can be felt with the finger and can be visualized. Any suggestions?
    use clay,and rub hard
    Noswirler

What works best for me is to just wet a towel or MFT with wash solution and drape it over wherever the bugs are. Keep it wet and let it set there for a while, then once you take it off the bugs should come off easily. Also, I've heard a wet dryer sheet works, but I've never tried that since the method I described above works fine. Good luck with it!

I wouldn't suggest rubbing hard with clay when either of the above methods should work fine without running the risk of instilling scratches in the paint (as long as you don't have dirt on the towel or dryer sheet of course).
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Get your shine on!
    1999 Green Chevy S10
    2003 Silver Honda ST1300

Registered Member

I tried a dampened Bounce fabric softener sheet. Smelled nice, but no luck removing the bug juice. The actual bug is long gone. It is the sticky / hardened residue iot leaves behind after splattering at 75 mph on my front end that is the problem. I have not tried leaving a wet clothe on the paint yet. I tried a competitors product as I couldn't find the Meguiar's bug and tar remover at PEP Boys. Any suggestions?

Check out this thread I started a couple of weeks ago. It must have been breeding season when I came through. I (my car) was totally covered in them. I got some helpful responses and ended up getting off all the bugs.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=16053

By bug juice I assume you mean bug guts? Or is it actual etching from the bugs?
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Get your shine on!
    1999 Green Chevy S10
    2003 Silver Honda ST1300

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    What works best for me is to just wet a towel or MFT with wash solution and drape it over wherever the bugs are. Keep it wet and let it set there for a while, then once you take it off the bugs should come off easily. Also, I've heard a wet dryer sheet works, but I've never tried that since the method I described above works fine. Good luck with it!

I wouldn't suggest rubbing hard with clay when either of the above methods should work fine without running the risk of instilling scratches in the paint (as long as you don't have dirt on the towel or dryer sheet of course).

Wonder where you got that idea?

THANKS MIKE!
    Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Actually, I used to do that before I visited this forum. Then I forgot about doing that, until I saw Mike's post. Lol.
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Get your shine on!
    1999 Green Chevy S10
    2003 Silver Honda ST1300

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tillmanator View Post
    Check out this thread I started a couple of weeks ago. It must have been breeding season when I came through. I (my car) was totally covered in them. I got some helpful responses and ended up getting off all the bugs.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=16053
    Did you try ColorX or hydrogen peroxide as suggested by some? I don't have fresh bugs on the paint. It is from 2 months ago. I power washed them off and washed the car after the trip. I didn't catch three small spots that remained from the hundreds of impacts until I went to do my total detail of the car. These small spots are driving me crazy. I don't think it is possible to rehydrate two month old remains. Any other suggestions?:confused

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information