• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dewalt or makita

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dewalt or makita

which is a better brand of rotary to buy, a dewalt or a makita rotary buffer?
    before u rev em up, shine em up!

Re: dewalt or makita

A good question as they are both about the same price. I decided on the Makita - UPS says it will be delivered TODAY!! My reasons were, lighter, starts up slow then goes to set speed and I've used Makita cordless drills at work and they were great. I'm sure DeWalt has a loyal following and they are great products. I just think for me - lighter weight meant better control. But hey I don't even have it yet and I've never used a DeWalt, but it's a Pepsi vs Coke thing - both great, just have to decide which one suits you better.

Comment

Hey,

I own 2 Makitas and 1 Dewalt rotaries and both brands are excellent! The Makita is lighter, but the weight of the Dewalt comes in handy if you are doing some heavy compounding. Either way, you can not lose.

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Are you experienced witha rotary, or planning to practice some? I notice your one thread says you are a bit new..

A new person can certainly learn to use a rotary, but do not learn on your own car, get some scrap panels. It is very easy to cause damage with a rotary if you arent experienced.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

i own a dewalt and i have used a makita a few times. I love my dewalt, i like the extra weight, but as stated before its all personal preference because they are both great buffers. I also think that the makita makes a little less noise which is good if you are gonna be rubbing out a car for 7 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
            Are you experienced witha rotary, or planning to practice some? I notice your one thread says you are a bit new..

A new person can certainly learn to use a rotary, but do not learn on your own car, get some scrap panels. It is very easy to cause damage with a rotary if you arent experienced.
            yeah im a bit new with detailing and yeah ive read about articles that says a beginner should use a DA first. don't get me wrong here but i love to learn how to use machine especially the DA but ordering one is just plain to costly. i know $200 dollars is not much for you guys but its a damn lot of money for me. thats around P10,000 (philippine peso) and to tell you i only have a P3,000 every month! so i just thought that if i would to buy a polisher it would be a rotary because it can remove sanding marks that a DA cant. hehehehe. . . . and don't worry, i won't be buying stuff soon because i don't have money yet. . . hahahahaha. . .

Comment

I suggest you get a Makita BO 6040 model, is 2 in 1 machine where you can switch to DA and rotary, rather then buying 2 machine. What do you think ? Check it out for more details...
              Is not how you shine your car, Is what you shine your car with

Comment

you can't go wrong with either. i believe joe from superior shine uses a dewalt, and mr.phillips uses a makita (which he's had for over 15+ years! correct me if i am wrong). it's preference, they're both quality tools that will last many many years...

Comment

They are both awesome. It's whatever you prefer because the handles are different. Personally, I think the Makita is more user friendly.
                  Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by frustrateddetailer View Post
                    don't get me wrong here but i love to learn how to use machine especially the DA but ordering one is just plain to costly. i know $200 dollars is not much for you guys but its a damn lot of money for me. thats around P10,000 (philippine peso) and to tell you i only have a P3,000 every month! so i just thought that if i would to buy a polisher it would be a rotary because it can remove sanding marks that a DA cant. hehehehe. . . . and don't worry, i won't be buying stuff soon because i don't have money yet. . . hahahahaha. . .
                    I am in the same boat living in Bangkok - not only the price but different voltage... Bangkok Meguiars say there have been lot's of talk about making two voltages machines but no resolution as of yet. Even if I slipped it in my suitcase when I went to visit Portland, Oregon I still would have to use a voltage regulator which is a big pain and I already use this for a old Sony Play station. I can't be bothered to drag that around my garage... Also, if other international locations are anything like Bangkok a 7 dollar product costs over 25 dollars here. I like it so much I keep buying :-) When I go back for a visit or someone comes here I will for sure stock up with an extra suitcase of Meguiars American...... Great Forum!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent View Post
                      I suggest you get a Makita BO 6040 model, is 2 in 1 machine where you can switch to DA and rotary, rather then buying 2 machine. What do you think ? Check it out for more details...
                      really?! ! thats awesome! where can i find this piece of machine?

Comment

Originally posted by frustrateddetailer View Post
                        really?! ! thats awesome! where can i find this piece of machine?

I would suggest doing a search on that particular model as if I remember correctly some people had good and bad experiences with it. I believe Mike may have even tested one of them.

As mentioned by other posters, weight is a concern. If you are buffing for several hours, your arms and back will be feeling it! In this write-up, I had to rotary buff the truck for about 13 hours straight as the damage was that extensive. Buffing that long with an 8 lbs machine takes a lot out of a person!

Tim
                        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I agree. the Dewalt has that problem of being a little heavier. I own a black and decker one and it's worked pretty good, and the slow start is a great advantage.

I know both are great machines, but the detalt is, IMO, a little harder to master, but will be foolproof for those who want to set exact RPM speeds
                          " Sometimes logic is your friend (Mike-In-Orange)"

Comment

The DeWalt's extra weight will help when compounding horizontal surfaces.
                            The Makita will be better for the rest. Iwent with the DeWalt.
                            The BO6040 may be the best of both worlds. But you could get a rotary plus a PC for the price of one 6040. That would mean less working time on each machine. May have some effect on life expectancy.

Comment

I've used my Makita many times since my first post on this, got to say that it is very good, you'll find your PC gettin dusty!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');