• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear Coating Custom License Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Coating Custom License Plate

Hi all,

I figure Meguiar's forums might be able to shed some light on this. My car team has custom license plates when it's game time. It's made out of aluminium, polished black, and says our team name in polished aluminium. Unfortunately, it is very prone to scratches. I'm thinking of purchasing some spray paint clear coat in an effort to protect it. Any suggestions (brand of spray paint clear coat) or comments (better ways of going about this)?

Thanks,

Eric
    Double D Garage

Re: Clear Coating Custom License Plate

swing by a shop that installs clear car bra's.. maybe you can get some scrap paint protection film, or they can sell you some.. just a thought

Comment

Our team logo is "embossed/embedded" into the license plate. I think a clear bra might produce air bubbles since it is not a flat surface?
      Double D Garage

Comment

sure it will produce air bubbles, you need to squeegee them out as you apply it.
        PPF stretches and you could basically rub out the air bubbles in the embedded/embossed area with an eraser on a #2 pencil before laying down the flat areas

I am sure you could clear them, but I think it would be harder to prep the surface to get a proper and lasting bond.

that is why i suggested PPF

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');