• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G100 old lacquer paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G100 old lacquer paint

I have a red 1966 Corvette, old paint may be the original lacquer, and it i tired needs[COLOR=/>s detailing. Where do I start? What should I use? I bought a G100 after an excellent tech session by Meguairs at a car show in Marlborough, MA.[/COLOR]
    Last edited by rsinor; Oct 20, 2006, 07:04 AM. Reason: spelling

Re: G100 old lacquer paint

Originally posted by rsinor View Post
    What [COLOR=/>s detailing. Where do I s detailing. Where do I start?

Meguiar'a always teaches the philosophy of using the least aggressive product to get the job done.

The questions are,

What are you working on?
    What condition is the paint?
    What is your car care goal?

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike - The paint is lacquer, old lacquer possibly the original paint on this 1966 Corvette. I want to get it looking better than it does, rather than just had wax it I decided to try my G100 that I bought after an excellent Meguiar’s tech session in Marlborough, MA which I was fortunate enough to attend. I have always used Meguiar’s product but also always done things by hand. I’m intrigued by the G100 and its potential for my cars. I am a car collector and do all of my detail work.

Comment

Mike - The paint is lacquer, old lacquer possibly the original paint on this 1966 Corvette. I want to get it looking better than it does, rather than just had wax it I decided to try my G100 that I bought after an excellent Meguiar’s tech session in Marlborough, MA which I was fortunate enough to attend. I have always used Meguiar’s product but also always done things by hand. I’m intrigued by the G100 and its potential for my cars. I am a car collector and do all of my detail work.

When working on old, antique lacquer you always want to work carefully, especially around thin points, this is true when working by hand or machine.

What do you have for chemicals?
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I have a G100, and am starting from scratch with none of your newer products, in fact in this string somewhere I was going to ask if there is a link to a recomended kit I should purchase. the majority of my cars are lacquer, I do have a new 2007 Z06 I need to start working on also. so I need a lot of stuff. Treat me like I know nothing about this process.

Comment

I have a G100, and am starting from scratch with none of your newer products, in fact in this string somewhere I was going to ask if there is a link to a recomended kit I should purchase. the majority of my cars are lacquer, I do have a new 2007 Z06 I need to start working on also. so I need a lot of stuff. Treat me like I know nothing about this process.
            We don't have any kits that specifically pertain to the G100 for what you want to do, what you want to do is to get a collection of our cleaner/polishes, such as,

M82 Swirl Free Polish
            M80 Speed Glazes
            M83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish

You'll also want to have a few extra W-8006 foam polishing pads to apply these products and also one or two W-9006 finishing pads to apply your waxes with.

You'll also want to stock up on some premium quality microfiber polishing cloths for wiping all of the above off.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

If you haven't already, read through this thread,

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

You'll want to start where the M80 Speed Glaze starts except swap M82 Swirl Free Polish and do a small test section to see if it's removing the defects to your satisfaction, if not then re-try using M80 Speed Glaze.

The idea being to start with the least aggressive product and test each product until you find a combination that works on your paint system to your expectations.

Once you dial in a system that's working on your paint then duplicate this over the entire car.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

So M80, M82, M83 I've been reading about here will work on lacquer good. I appreciate the information. I'm going to place an order this afternoon for this stuff. thanks again. I'll read the link and I just finished reading an earlier post regarding black lacquer.

Comment

So M80, M82, M83 I've been reading about here will work on lacquer good. I appreciate the information. I'm going to place an order this afternoon for this stuff. thanks again. I'll read the link and I just finished reading an earlier post regarding black lacquer.
                  Meguiar's paint care products are always formulated to work on a wide spectrum of paint types, our earliest products were actually created at a time when lacquer paint was the standard.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');