• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to use on plastic parts??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use on plastic parts??

What do you guys use on plastic body parts? Like the bottom half of a Chevy Avalanche? How long does it usually last after you put it on?

Thanks,
    Nick
    2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
    2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Re: What to use on plastic parts??

I like the look of All Season Dressing on black plastic trim and other pieces.

Comment

Hi Nick,

There is no product that lasts forever, but we know that's what everyone wants. If you find that product, let the people that make these kind of parts, or even the manufacture of this type of plastic so they can just add it to the material when they make it then all new plastic parts will always look good forever.

Until then, Meguiar's recommends the below product and even GM put out a service bulletin recommending this for the Avalanche.

Gold Class Trim Detailer

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

too bad they Meg's doesn't sell the EXTRA to go with the TSB!

if meguiars brings back extra, i would stock up big time! hint hint
        Patrick Yu
        2003 Honda Accord
        2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Thanks guys. I used the Trim Detailer, but no matter how I applied it, it came out streaky. Not sure what I was doing wrong, and I've never had that happen before.

Comment

Originally posted by n737nc View Post
            Thanks guys. I used the Trim Detailer, but no matter how I applied it, it came out streaky. Not sure what I was doing wrong, and I've never had that happen before.
            The problem with many plastic materials is they don't absorb very well so everything tends to be topical.

The real solution is for car manufactures to use something else besides these types of materials. What makes for a good material is something that can be worked on and maintained by the average joe, or a material or coating that resists deterioration and degradation.

For example some of the trim on our Honda Pilot is showing fading. This is normal for these components when you live in the desert and use the car outdoors in normal driving conditions. Had these components been chrome or stainless this wouldn't be happening.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Ahhh, makes sense.
              This was my last "freebie" job that I did the other day for a friend. I'm going to go back out there tomorrow or the next day and give it another coat of the trim detailer and see if it takes a little better since it's had time to "soak in" a little. Not sure if it's going to make a difference or not, but I'm gonna give it a shot. He was very please with the results, but I'm not

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');