• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#80 on Gelcoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #80 on Gelcoat

I was looking for some feedback in regard to using #80 on gel coat... it seems the marine line up does not have anything in the gap between Color Restorer (light compound) and Boat Polish (pure polish). It seems like #80 would be really nice to fill the gap. Any thoughts as to why you would not want to use #80 on gel? I tried it out on my test piece of boat... seems to work rather well.
    Jeremy
    Boat: 2006 SeaRay 280DA T-4.3 MPI Alpha 1
    Tow Vehicle (aka My Truck): 2008 GMC Sierra 2500 DuraMax/Allison
    Wife's Car: 2006 Lexus ES330
    Folsom, Ca

Re: #80 on Gelcoat

I've been using #80 with good results on gel coated motorhomes and trailers

Comment

I tried #83 on a boat before and it did nothing, but that was a long time ago...when the great people at customer care (not american) told me to use 8" pads and such.
      Patrick Yu
      2003 Honda Accord
      2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Well what do ya know. Megs make a product specifically for this...

You can read more about it in Mike's post here...

I've got another gel coated race trailer to do before this month is over, so maybe I'll see if my PBE has some Color-Restorer when I stop by there next week. If not, #80 has been working for me, but a boat may be a different story.

Comment

My big mistake was using #80 on a gel-coat fiberglass 5th wheel. Removed large part of the clear coat on the end caps leaving an uneven haze. This was 2 yrs ago with hand polish and sealant used twice a yr since the use of #80. Still the uneven haze on a 2003 Newmar unit remained.

I have just finished using #44 color restorer and I am amazed how even the finish became, followed up with #45 polish and a coat of Premium sealant.

Though #80 may not have created the entire problem (weak gel-coat?) I will hold it for my truck which is overdue.

Comment

I have always seen it leave light marks and cause light discoloration (only when looked at under halogen lights, outside it looked fine) on gel coat. Actaully removing swirls in gel coat is hard, more so because you are usually working a very very large panel.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');