• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single Stage vs. Clear Coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Single Stage vs. Clear

It is a tought call. I have a SS car (white) and I don't like it becuase it takes a fair amount of upkeep to keep it nice. But on a darker color, and nicer car I would want SS becuase I like the look.
    Danny Jensen, Detail Lab

Comment

Re: Single Stage vs. Clear Coat

SS for life

Comment

SS for appearance and fun to work on, CC for longevity.

Tom

Comment

Seeing as people have been voting and brought this back up to the top, I originally voted for clear, but now would change to SS.

Comment

single stage all the way!
            thanks mike for posting pics of that truck again,didn't you polish it out also?
            I agree with the other guy, about it being one of my dream vehicles.
            clear coats nice but S.S is fun to work on and with the right products
            and technique you can make S.S look just as good or better then clear coat!
            ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
            You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
            Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
              Depends upon what you want...

If you're a painter in a body shop you want to apply a paint job that's going to look good and last a long time because you want your customer to be happy and most people want a paint job that looks good and lasts a long time.

If you're a paint polishing fool, and you know a little bit about paint, you might want a single stage for the look and the polishability.

The guy who owns this truck wanted the blackest black "Look" he could get and for this reason his painter recommended a single stage paint, it was still a catalyzed urethane and not a traditional lacquer or enamel, so it was new technology, just not with a clear coating of clear resin over the top of it.

Clear coat finishes are generally very durable in that even with just basic car care they will last a long time, don't confuse this to mean they'll look good for a long time because you can have a clear coated car completely filled with swirls and it will still last a long time, but it isn't going to look good over this this period of time.

Does that make sense?

Clear coats are scratch-sensitive, most the chatter on other forums for years was always about how soft clear coats paints are and this is why they scratch so easily, but the reality is most clear coat paints are very hard and yet they still scratch very easily.

The practical real-world effect of this characteristic of clear coat paints is that for those of us who like to work on our cars, that is wash, clean, polish and protect the paint, it's harder for us to remove below surface defects because the paint is generally harder than traditional paints and therefore more difficult to remove small particles of paint in an effort to remove the defects and all the while doing so in a manner that we don't put more defects into the paint at the same time.

This is where polishing paint becomes an art form and this is where it becomes very important to choose the right products and use the proper techniques whenever you're working you your car or a customer's car.

Can you give me more info on that truck's paintjob.

I want to paint my car black or red, and well if im going black that is exactly exactly exactly what i want... darkest darkest darkest black, like a blackhole black, absorbing and reflecting like a mirror, deep, wet, watery... yet polish mirror glass smooth....

Singlestage... wow... thats all i gotta say... please let me know.

Comment

If you're a painter in a body shop you want to apply a paint job that's going to look good and last a long time because you want your customer to be happy and most people want a paint job that looks good and lasts a long time.

If you're a paint polishing fool, and you know a little bit about paint, you might want a single stage for the look and the polishability.

The guy who owns this truck wanted the blackest black "Look" he could get and for this reason his painter recommended a single stage paint, it was still a catalyzed urethane and not a traditional lacquer or enamel, so it was new technology, just not with a clear coating of clear resin over the top of it.

Clear coat finishes are generally very durable in that even with just basic car care they will last a long time, don't confuse this to mean they'll look good for a long time because you can have a clear coated car completely filled with swirls and it will still last a long time, but it isn't going to look good over this this period of time.

Does that make sense?

Clear coats are scratch-sensitive, most the chatter on other forums for years was always about how soft clear coats paints are and this is why they scratch so easily, but the reality is most clear coat paints are very hard and yet they still scratch very easily.

The practical real-world effect of this characteristic of clear coat paints is that for those of us who like to work on our cars, that is wash, clean, polish and protect the paint, it's harder for us to remove below surface defects because the paint is generally harder than traditional paints and therefore more difficult to remove small particles of paint in an effort to remove the defects and all the while doing so in a manner that we don't put more defects into the paint at the same time.

This is where polishing paint becomes an art form and this is where it becomes very important to choose the right products and use the proper techniques whenever you're working you your car or a customer's car.
                can you please give me more info on that car's black paint? I want to paint my car the darkest darkest darkest black like a blackhole, absorbinb and reflecting like a mirror, wet and deep like water, yet smooth like mirror glass..

Either black or red.. but if its black this is it... can u tell me what it exactly is

Single stage for the win.. just wow...

Comment

Voted for single stage. I just think it is better. For fun my T-Bird when I bought it I had a little fun. I found a good spot to fix up in the paint and buffed it and put wax on it and made it look new. It did not look that bad when I was done I wish the car had paint that was faded than rust.
                  Alex
                  1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
                  1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
                  1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

Sorry, but I got to ask: Is that Chip Foose's truck?

Comment

I like the durability of the CC, and polishability of the older soft SS. I gotta say though with my recent experience with my first quart of M105 that it has brought a lot of the joy back to polishing the older style paints (I'm only 30, but when I was in high school a lot of us car buffs had cars at that time with the older style soft polishable paints from the 70's and 80's, and I have fond memories of what a joy they were to polish)

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine View Post
                        Can you get Lacquer???? We can't here in Cali!!!!!

I need to do some spot work on my lacquer red 57.
                        yes you can Classic car colors has it and also Dupli-Color in ready to spray qtsand pts.If you can't find there sights email me at FZIMMIE.SCHAFFER@GMAIL.COM and I will give you the links.I am not sure if they can ship to all states.

Comment

I couldn't agree more!!!

I look at things from a former painter standpoint. Each coating has it place in the world. You get deeper, more depth color wise with Single Stage. From my experinces single stage paint does polish easier and is a little more forgiving to the painter/polisher then a clear coated job.

On a lot of custom jobs that I've done, I have painted something single stage and perform what is know as a flow coat over it. You basically paint it with single stage, sand it down with 800, and then spray clear on it. This will give you the best of both worlds... depth and protection!

Now for my favorite base/clear

Metallic or Tri-Coat colors are defintley made for basecoat/clearcoat paint. I'm not saying that you can't spray a metallic single stage, I'm just saying that there are so many con's compared to doing it in basecoat, my fingers will get tired before I type them all in

Next is repairability, you can perform is what know as a blend with basecoat... you basically trick your eye into thinking the paint color matches. You blend or hide the color mismatch by using different spraying techniques. This is a common thing and it happens in every bodyshop each day. This is a huge plus with base/clear. If you are going to drive the car, eventually it will have some sort of paint damage, from a stone chip to a fender bender. So being able to repair one or two panels while achieving color match is a must!

BB/CC has it place in the custom industry also. Two-tones, custom graphics just to list a few...

So I agree with Mike's statement 100%, what do you expect from your finish then make your choice of products base upon that.
                          Last edited by b00g2003; May 15, 2009, 12:39 PM. Reason: typo
                          Red 99 SS Camaro - 578 RWHP 611 FT/LBS

"..If you do not strive to be the best at what you do, why do it at all?"

Comment

I like the way the single stage cleans and shines. But I also like the durability of clear coat.
                            Sleepy

Love the Classics!

Comment

Originally posted by sleepy View Post
                              I like the way the single stage cleans and shines. But I also like the durability of clear coat.

any pics with clearcoat over single stage acrylic enamel

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');