• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

paste vs liquid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paste vs liquid

i read the FAQ on the main page.

i'm trying to figure out what the best wax is for the last layer(s)

on the main page it says liquid is easier and just as good, so i'm thinking: why would anyone use paste? Theres gotta be a reason
    straight from the faq:
    "The difference between paste and liquid wax is primarily one of convenience and personal preference. Meguiar's liquid formulas provide the same protection as paste, and are easier and faster to apply.
    That said, there is something about spending a Saturday afternoon, leisurely applying a traditional paste wax to your pride and joy that people find both enjoyable and rewarding. This is especially true when the results from their efforts reflect their passion with an eye dazzling shine that makes passersby stop and look… and then look again."

when i detail this is what i do:

-wash/clay
    -polish (turtlewax liquid f21 car polish, it's all they had at the time, what's a good meguiars polish?)
    -liquid NXT (what's the diff between this and paste?)
    -carnuba (using turtlewax platinum right now, want to switch over to a meguiars product, maybe gold class, maybe something else, i'm open to suggestions, i'd like to use a liquid wax unless it wouldn't last as long or would offer less protection/gloss/shine

BTW i drive a winning blue mazda3 hatch, that might help you guys figure out the best last layer wax for me.

thanks guys

Re: paste vs liquid

Polish = #7 Meguiar's Show Car Glaze
    If you can find/get Meguiar's M21 Synthetic Sealant you can use that as your LSP after using Meguiar's Gold Class.
    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
    2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Comment

is there much of a diffrence between gold class liquid vs paste?

if not, i'm going to use the liquid as it's so much easier

Comment

hey pcfxer, will the 21 seal over the carnuba? i always thought carnuba was supposed to go on top of the sealant, and i just bought a new bottle of NXT liquid. are NXT and 21 diffrent in some way?

Comment

Originally posted by bobby four View Post
          is there much of a diffrence between gold class liquid vs paste?

if not, i'm going to use the liquid as it's so much easier
          In the Meguiar's line, the difference between a paste and a liquid is your personal preference, other than that the products are the same, only the form they are in is different.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

The paste effectively turns into a liquid during application anyway - the heat from rubbing your applicator on the surface of the paste liquifies the product.

You will see no difference in the final product - it's just a matter of liking paste or liquid.

I don't have any paste products, as I find liquids so much easier to apply.

NXT and M21 are fairly similar products - and the consensus here on which is "better" seems to either be split down the middle, or tipped every so slightly towards M21. You can't go wrong with either.

If you already have the Gold Class go ahead and use it - but I don't have a single non-synthetic sealant or wax in my detail cart. In my opinion, the technology applied to car sealants and wax has surpassed carnauba in nearly every way.
            Nate Williams
            N.E.W.car Mobile Detailing

Comment

I recall reading here on MOL another difference is the shelf like, paste is years whereas liquid is 18 to 24 months yeah?

Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by N.E.W.car View Post
                In my opinion, the technology applied to car sealants and wax has surpassed carnauba in nearly every way.
                I generaly agree, however I have yet to find a synthetic that gives the sharp little water beads of a quality carnuba, I like water beads!
                VTEC: all the lag, none of the turbo

Comment

Bobby four,

Generally you want your LSP to contain as little cleaners as possible such that you will be able to apply two thin layers of such a product. Right now I use GC then top it with NXT and the shine is quite impressive.

However, the shine from Gold Class alone is darn fiiine. Okay, so you might be confused right now and I'll see if I can clarify what I'm hinting at. Your LSP is supposed to seal the oils from the polishes and protect them from the nasty environment. To extend the life of a sealant you will want to clean and prepare the paint, making it smooth and removing contaminants and sometimes defects. You will also attempt to apply the LSP as thin and as evenly as possible, this will allow the product to setup and create better protection.

That said, I don't believe that carnauba waxes are only to be applied on top of polymer based sealants. Assuming that both waxes are pure waxes and don't contain any polishing oils or cleaners and, are both applied as thin as possible, then they will both provide great durability no matter the order of being applied.

In the end, though, you can try half of your hood with carnauba before NXT and the other half with NXT before carnauba. The decision then, is up to YOU! That's the magic of the detailing experience. Good Luck and hope you enjoy MOL as much as I do!

PS, I haven't tried the new formula for GC liquid but the old formula was very good!
                  2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
                  2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Comment

that's a great idea, half my hood one way and the other half the other way and i can decide for myself... i'm gonna go out and buy some gold class liquid hehe... i'm never going to use paste waxes again.

Comment

Personally, there is no reason for me to use a paste wax. The liquid form goes on easier, provides just the same protection, and is more available around here - our stores that carry alot of Meguiars products are limited.

Here is what I did to put some protection on my car: 4 hours of claying, DC1, GC Wax, #7, #21 x 2. This offered a level of gloss that I have never achieved before. The protection was also unbeatable. It lasted me 3 monthes of full time outdoor protection with a wash every 2 weeks. It could have lasted longer, but I decided to do a full detail.

I've heard that NXT wax is very similar to #21. Because I haven't used it, I can't tell you my results.

Some good polishes are #7 Show Car Glaze, New Car Glaze - humid areas, and DC2. DC2 is very nice and will cost less - $6 vs $11 or so.
                      Chris
                      Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

yeah, went to the store today to pick up some liquid gold class but they were out, i was actually looking at DC3 but decided to just go for the gold.

how does DC3 compare to GC?

Comment

I can't tell you personally, but I have a friend that puts a coat of DC3 over the GC. I would go for GC because I have had good look with it in the past.

I'm suprised that they were out of GC. Even where I live, every store has a supply to last atleast a year. If you can't get GC, definately go for NXT wax. I'd be surprised if you don't have an O'reilly Auto near you. They have a good selection of Meguiars stuff. You can also ask to see their Meguiars catalog which has the Pro line. It is the older catalog, but it has #20 sealant which is very similar to #21. The catalog has just about everything else, too.
                          Chris

Comment

yeah i already have a bottle of NXT liquid.

i just always though the "accepted order of detailing" was

was/clay
                            polish/glaze
                            sealant
                            wax

Comment

Some people put a coat of #7 over NXT or GC. The glaze will wear off in about 30 days. If you put the glaze on and then apply a coat of wax / sealant, it will last a lot longer.

For a more complete order of detailing try this:
                              Wash
                              Clay
                              DC1 or Speed Glaze
                              Polish / Glaze
                              Wax X2
                              Sealant
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X