• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

91 acura base coat clear coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 acura base coat clear coat?

Hi , I owe my sister in law a favour. I said " I'll polish your car " It's red but , quite faded. I am a pro at my new car but need some advice on an older vehicle. Does anyone know if this year would be base coat clear coat? I was going to attack it with a clay bar, scratch x where needed, DC 1 , #7 then NXT. If its not clearcoat, what arsenal do you recommend? All by hand, I didnt win the September draw.

Re: 91 acura base coat clear coat?

I will have a clear coat for sure if it is the factory paint.
    You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

Thanks, so would it just be the unkept clear coat that is causing it to look faded or does the paint actually fade beneath the clear coat.

Comment

Tough without pics.

Comment

Probably the clear coat looking shoddy, hopefully it isnt failing.

But either way, it wont matter much. Just do the regular detail steps, wash, clay, clean, polish wax, or at least wash, clay ColorX, wax, and see how you do. ColorX or a whole lot of ScratchX would probably work best to remove oxidation, but DC1 isnt bad either.

The same products and steps work for base coat and clear coat.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks for the input Murr1525 . I think this is a perfect time to try colorx.

Comment

If it's the original paint, it's a 3 stage job with a tinted clear coat. It's tinted with a redish color. It *should* come back just fine as long as it isn't too far gone.
              Quadruple Honda Owner
              Black cars are easy!

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');