• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can you clean and protect a satin black finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can you clean and protect a satin black finish?

I just had a large 1969 Mach I style satin black stripe painted on the hood of my car. The body shop used 2-stage PPG paint with a satin black base coat and satin clear coat. From what I understand the satin black finish can't be waxed or buffed or it will lose the satin look and become glossy. What is the best way to clean and protect the satin black finish? Can I do anything besides regular washing? I appreciate any help you can provide!

Re: How can you clean and protect a satin black finish?

Let's see some photos. Not that I know the answer, just want to see it. Sounds cool.
    Scott

Comment

If the satin clear coat top has cured, then I can't see how a wax would change it from satin to gloss. Machine polishing might to some extent. If the coating is that fragile that it can be altered with a protectant then I can't see how it would hold up to the forces of nature.

My only hands on experience with satin vs gloss finishes is with wood finishing products, and there, a satin finish will remain satin even with a coat of wax.

Mort

Comment

Gold Class Trim Detailer

After washing, apply a thin coating, work in gently, then allow to penetrate for a few minutes, then remove the excess using a clean, soft microfiber polishing cloth. Remember, a little bit will go a long ways.

Wipe softly and gently to remove any trace amounts of product of the satin finish of this paint. This will leave the paint rich in color.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

would like to see this finish

Comment

Thanks for your help guys! I'll take a couple pics of the hood tonight and post them tomorrow.

Comment

I haven't tried the Gold Class Trim Detailer, but I use regular NXT Wax on my 2003 Mach's satin black rear spoiler and on the satin black hood applique and have had no problems with it "turning glossy". I suspect that you would experience similar results with the paint on your classic Mach.

Please post up some pictures when you get a chance.
              2004 Ford F250 SuperDuty Crew 6.0L Diesel - Black
              2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 - Dark Shadow Gray

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten View Post
                I haven't tried the Gold Class Trim Detailer, but I use regular NXT Wax on my 2003 Mach's satin black rear spoiler and on the satin black hood applique and have had no problems with it "turning glossy". I suspect that you would experience similar results with the paint on your classic Mach.

Please post up some pictures when you get a chance.

I agree. My 2004 Mach 1's painted satin black spoiler hasn't turned glossy after claying, #80 and NXT. I have also applied light coats of NXT to the tape stripes on the hood and rocker panels, being VERY careful around the edges.

Comment

Thanks for the great welcome guys. I appreciate all your help. Here is a picture of my hood with the Mach/Boss style stripe.

Comment

Oh I misunderstood your first post. I read it as you had a 1969 Mach. Still, nicely done.

Comment

Rogerf - Is the "Shaker" scoop on that new Mustang factory or aftermarket? Slightly off topic, but just curious.

Comment

The shaker on the S197 cars is aftermarket. A company called Classic Design Concepts markets the more popular one.

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten View Post
                          The shaker on the S197 cars is aftermarket. A company called Classic Design Concepts markets the more popular one.
                          Tungsten is saying we own real Mach1s. Ford brought them back in 2003 and 2004. They came equipped with real, functioning Shakers as standard equipment along with 32v DOHC aluminum block engines, upgraded suspension, Mustang Cobra brakes and a retro-styled interior.

Scott Hoag, Ford Program Manager for both Bullitt and Mach1 Mustangs even fought to get an "R" designation in Mach1 VINs. Frankly, I'm suprised the Mach1 didn't just wind up being a decal and scoop package like the new California Special.

Interestingly enough, CDC put together a Mach1 concept for Ford in 2002 to guage interest in the model. It looked very close to the final production version, right down to the retro guages (stolen from the 2001 1/2 Bullitt) and the basket-weave upholstery (from the late '60s).

There are no 2005 -2006 -2007 Mach1s. If it doesn't have an R in the VIN, it's not a Mach1.

Comment

Those wheels make my happy place tingle.

Comment

I'm glad your happy placing is tingling. I wouldn't post these if we were in the same state!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');