• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bugs, Bugs, BUGS, and MORE BUGS!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugs, Bugs, BUGS, and MORE BUGS!!!!!

Bugs, Bugs, BUGS, and MORE BUGS!!!!!

Hi Folks,

Oh, please help me. I just came back from a two day trip from Miami to Orlando and back. It must be bug season because there are more bugs on my car than I've ever had in my entire life! It's awful. I want to cry. (I'm a girl, not a guy... so don't think anything weird.....)

I couldn't even see through the glass so I used some glass wipes. I can't get the bugs off. It's like they're cement! Since it is so hard to get it off the windows, I'm afraid to wash it now for fear that I"m going to chip off my paint from the hardened bugs.

I know Meg's makes a bug and tar remover. Is this at all damaging to paint? If I use it, should I use an extra large dose of it? I have more bugs than you can imagine. The pony on my grill looks like a horse-shaped, multi-winged bug it's so covered. Do I let it soak in for a while? Can I use my regular microfiber wash mitt or something more heavy duty? Does it take off wax... should I be prepared to wax again after I remove these bugs?

It's Sunday night now and I'm too tired to wash tonight. I will be washing on Monday after work. Please help me with this bug problem. My car is so so ugly right now I can hardly stand to drive it.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Bugs, Bugs, BUGS, and MORE BUGS!!!!!

easy fix.

wet dryer sheets any brand.

come back here and rave about it......

SRT-10 Silver

Comment

Rain-x is some awesome stuff to use on the windshield! Ive never had problems getting bugs of any type off my windshield with rainx I use the orange windshield washers stuff, not the stuff you need to wipe on ever so often. I believe the orange stuff is also a bug wash too. I never use it unless its raining though so it doesnt get on my paint and dry. Its untelling what that **** would do to paint.

Anyway, I usually just get down and rub with my wash mitt until they are gone. It can take along time to get them all off too. Wash the car making sure to keep the front wet the entire time to sofen up the bugs, then rub away. It wouldnt be a bad idea to use DC1+ a wax on the front atleast since you would probably rub all the wax off.

Its also best to keep a good coat of wax on it to help remove the bugs...
      Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
      Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Welcome to lovebug season in Florida! I just went to Orlando from here in Tampa over the weekend. I just detailed my car yesterday morning so it would look good going to my nephew's birthday party. It got covered in lovebugs, I'm so ticked. I saw a white mustang on the highway that had turned black from all the bugs.

Anyways, I am going to clean them off by washing again, then using the claybar on the front and hood (including windshied), then top it off with ColorX. If the claybar misses anything hopefully the ColorX will finish cleaning it up while adding the wax protection.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT--- don't let the bugs sit too long before cleaning them off, they can eat through your clearcoat!

Comment

Originally posted by grover View Post
          Also, VERY IMPORTANT--- don't let the bugs sit too long before cleaning them off, they can eat through your clearcoat!
          They don't literally EAT it though. A friend's co-worker thought the bugs actually eat the paint. lol

All joking aside, like grover said, you need to get them of ASAP because their guts will eat right through the paint.

About how to get them off, I have heard to use a dryer sheet too, but I've never tried it. It works for me to just soak the vehicle in water and then get them off with DC car wash (and water of course).

I was wondering about dryer sheets....is there any way they could harm paint? The only reason I haven't used them yet is because I'm worried they will mess the paint up.
          Lydia's Mobile Detailing
          Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
          2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Yep, take a few sheets of Bounce dipped in water and start wiping the bugs away. They disolve really fast!

Comment

Meguiar's APC and cheese cloth. Claybar works well to get the left overs, if any.
              2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
              2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Comment

I've had great luck with wetting the surface, using some APC and ADS sells these bug sponges that work great, I've not had any issues with bugs since using those.

Tom

Comment

Im kinda confused, do you all rub the dryer sheet on the paint?
                  Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                  Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

For the windows I have the best luck with Meguiar's detailer line glass cleaner concentrate. It will remove just about anything. After a couple of uses it will put rainx to same.

Comment

I read somewhere just to take a big towel or a bunch of smaller terry cloth towels and to soak them in car-wash solution and just lay them across the windshield and bug splattered painted areas. Let them sit for a good 1/2 hour. The dry bug bits will re-hydrate and come right off. Sounds alot safer than scrubbing. I would think some bug bits would scratch paint.
                      Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

I would also soak them like SVT suggests, then rinse as many off with the hose as possible, as to not wipe around in the mess with the wash mitt. Haven't tried dryer sheets though..
                        "Now Biff... make sure that we get two coats of wax this time..."
                        - Back To The Future

Comment

Thanks so much everyone for your suggestions. I washed tonight using a combination of your ideas.

1. Rinsed

2. Laid GC soaked towels over windsheild, hood and grill.

3. Re-soaked outside of towel when it started to look less soggy. (It's hot down here in Miami and the towel was drying fast.)

4. Washed gently with a wash mitt several times, rinsing the bug bodies out of the mitt every few swipes. There were a LOT of bugs!

5. Clayed the remainder of what I didn't want to rub so hard at and then re-waxed those areas.

My husband would not let me rub any dryer sheets over the paint. My car looks lovely again though it took a few hours for the whole ordeal. It was worth it.

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Glad you got them removed. The previous owner of my car didn't remove the bugs on the bumper and look what it did to the paint. This car was a tow behind on a motorhome, but fromt he pattern on the bumper, it was bug juice all the way with a few rock chips too.

I'm going to have to repaint the front bumper. The bugs juices actually "ate" away on the clear coat and pitted it serverly.
                            2016 Focus ST

Comment

Originally posted by BlueLibby04 View Post
                              Im kinda confused, do you all rub the dryer sheet on the paint?
                              Wet

Wipe on

Wipe off

Wash
                              SRT-10 Silver

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');