• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NXT Cure Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NXT Cure Time

I am aware of the 12 hour cure time of the NXT tech wax.

My question is by cure time, does it mean I have to keep the car in a closed garage? I am sure I should not drive it if it's raining, how about driving the car is a nice, sunny day? Will the NXT cured during driving?

Hey,

There should be no problem with driving it. It is only a problem if it rains, or if a person uses a QD before the curing is complete. Again, the curing time is only an estimate as there are many factors that can effect the process.

I would not worry about!

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Re: NXT Cure Time

Originally posted by mis3
      I am aware of the 12 hour cure time of the NXT tech wax.

My question is by cure time, does it mean I have to keep the car in a closed garage? I am sure I should not drive it if it's raining, how about driving the car is a nice, sunny day? Will the NXT cured during driving?
      The idea behind waiting to apply a second coating is to allow a window of time to pass, to insure that all of the polymers have fully set-up. Anytime you introduce water or other liquids to the surface before the polymers have fully set-up you risk disrupting the polymers.

Some people cannot wait, or do not want to wait this long before applying a second coat, I know many times I don't have the luxury of time to wait until the next day to apply a second coat. If you are in this position, then it's completely fine to apply a second coat sooner. The 12 hour window of time is just a best case scenario for those people that want the maximum results possible. It's like giving the benefit of doubt to the process.

After applying the Tech Wax to your car's finish, it's perfectly fine to drive again in sunny weather. It's liquids you want to avoid for the first 12 hours for best possible results. I’ve been told that this is true of most paint protection products.

Another thing I notice once in a while at the clinic is for someone who has just applied Tech Wax, or any wax is to continually wipe the surface, you know, they have already removed the wax but they continue to keep wiping and polishing on the finish. This disrupts the polymer coating on the surface. Instead, wipe off the excess and leave it alone. When you continue to wipe the surface before the polymers have fully set-up, you are moving the polymer coating around, potentially moving it off the finish and onto you polishing cloth.

Stop. Let the polymers set up.

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I see. So, I should plan the time so that the car should be kept in the garage for at least a few hours. Drive only if you don't have a choice.

You never know when you drive outside, maybe something stupid like a puddle of water or the windshield washer from a nearby car.

Comment

If your want to do everything possible on your part to insure maximum results, then it definitely wouldn't hurt.

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike, good point about not constantly wiping the surface once the excess product is taken off!

I'm wondering what the pro detailers do regarding applying NXT to a customer’s car when they’re "on the clock". Time is money and they certainly can't wait 12-24 hours before applying a second coat.

Since time is of the essence, do the pro detailers just apply 1 coat of NXT or apply 2 coats with more like 10-15 wait time vs. 20 minute? I’m just curious.
            A great finish begins with the right start!

Comment

I'm pretty sure most Pro/Production oriented detailers only apply one coat and move one. If they do apply a second coat, then it's within minutes of applying the first coat.

The primary reason to apply a second coat is to,

Insure and even and thorough layer over the entire surface

The idea of applying two coats is not to create a second layer over the first layer, but to insure a uniform layer over the entire finish. The idea behind allowing some time to go by before applying the second coat is to allow the first set of polymers to fully set-up or bond to the finish.

Waiting till the next day or 12 hours to apply the second application is really something only the most serious of detailing enthusiasts would probably do in the first place. Meguiar’s calls these kinds of people Car Crazy because they are so passionate about they’re cars and they express this in doing things the normal person wouldn’t do, like waiting to put a second coat of wax on.

So please don’t think waiting hours to apply a second application is a necessary step, it’s not. It’s an optional step for those that want to maximize the depth, shine, richness and gloss that Tech Wax has to offer.

The average person is going to apply one coat and go. If they choose to apply a second coat, they will more than likely do this immediately after removing the second coat. Meguiar’s has always said that two thin coats are better than one thick coat no matter which wax you apply.

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Then I must be CAR CRAZY! And my car is a daily driver!

I agree it's an optional step, but I was just curious as some of the photos I've seen posted from you and others, who I know have limited time to spend on detailing a car, look absolutely great!

With your personal car, it's nice to have the option of applying that second coat after the polymers set-up in order to have the best looking car finish in town!

Comment

Hi everybody,

This is my first post. Anyways, I recently bought a new bottle of NXT Tech Wax after hearing much hype from commercials and reading them in magazines. After reading this, I have a certain question for you guys. I have only one garage & two cars. So it's either the Sienna or the Camry goes in. My wife wants the Sienna to be in the garage because it's new and nearly double the price of the Camry. So my Camry has been sitting outside everyday since last December.

Hearing that we would want that no liquid should touch the car within the firs 12 hours, I would like to know if dew could disturb the polymers. I usually start washing the car about 3:00pm and I usually start waxing (after making sure that the surface is flawless) around 5:30. By 6:30 tops, I'll be done. Then it would be outside overnight and dew would form unless I was really lucky and dew would not form that night.

So, could it affect it?
                  1995 Camry LE- Forest Green Pearl/Ivory Cloth
                  2004 Sienna XLE Limited- Blue Mirage Metallic/Stone Leather

Comment

Hi toyotaowner,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

I appreciate your question and think it has value, but I'm not sure how much more to the extreme we can get over introducing water and other liquids to freshly applied wax.

I guess in a perfect world, the surface would stay dry until the wax has completely set-up.

Will you notice a real-world difference because dew formed on your freshly applied coat of wax over night?

Probably not...

Welcome again to Meguiar's Online
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I see your point. Maybe I'll try convincing the wife that one night with the new car outside won't hurt.

Thanks for answering.
                      1995 Camry LE- Forest Green Pearl/Ivory Cloth
                      2004 Sienna XLE Limited- Blue Mirage Metallic/Stone Leather

Comment

Don't forget, if you hold your mouth a certain way (different for everyone) then the NXT has been shown to cure 12.9%faster...just something to think about...

Comment

Quote from Mike:
                          Another thing I notice once in a while at the clinic is for someone who has just applied Tech Wax, or any wax is to continually wipe the surface, you know, they have already removed the wax but they continue to keep wiping and polishing on the finish. This disrupts the polymer coating on the surface. Instead, wipe off the excess and leave it alone. When you continue to wipe the surface before the polymers have fully set-up, you are moving the polymer coating around, potentially moving it off the finish and onto you polishing cloth..

This is good to know... I will stop doing this! I do it everytime I wax my truck thinking its helping bring the shine out. Thanks!
                          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by gb387
                            This is good to know... I will stop doing this! I do it everytime I wax my truck thinking its helping bring the shine out. Thanks!
                            I think people continue to rub the finish because of the word "Buff" that some people (and companies) use.

e.g. After applying the wax, buff for maximum shine!

When other companies instructions say this, no where does it say how long or hard to "Buff" to get that maximum shine!

So, go with Meguiar's instructions and advise and just remove with a 100% cotton terry cloth or quality MF towel and stop once the product is removed.

Comment

There should be no problem with driving it. It is only a problem if it rains, or if a person uses a QD before the curing is complete. Again, the curing time is only an estimate as there are many factors that can effect the process.

I would not worry about!
                              I think it is something to worry about if you want the best looking finish.

What I do is wash the car in the late afternoon when I'm not going out that evening. After I apply the NXT (done in the garage), I leave the car overnight in the garage so the NXT can set up.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');