• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

removing runs with a sanding block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing runs with a sanding block

hello
    ive been doing body work for a while but i painted my first car. i have a few runs in the door. i ordered a unigrit sanding block (1000) grit which is good for removing runs. how should i go about doing it? the run was in the last coat of clear. ive used the rotary buffer before and i am comfortable with it but iver never messed with runs before
    could anyone tell me how i should use the block properly?
    and also some tips for using it?
    thanks
    jake

Re: removing runs with a sanding block

How many coats of clear did you put on there? Also, I would probably follow that 1000 grit with some 2000, 2500, or even 3000.
    Superior Detailing - For All Your Auto Reconditioning Needs.
    Metro Detroit

Comment

there are 3 coats of clear on the car
      the run was in the final coat

Comment

First thing you want to do is to soak the sanding block in a bucket of water overnight to saturate the block with water. When it's saturated with water it will sink to the bottom of the bucket.

Once saturated, spray the area with some soapy water, or add some soap like #00 to your water or even use some M34 to lubricate the surface.

Then hold the block in such a way that the long narrow face of the block is in contact with the paint run and begin sanding or blocking out the run.

Be careful not to gouge the edges or corners of the block into the paint.

Some guys like to round the edges and corners to remove any edges or corners.

After knocking down the run to as far as you can get it or to where you comfortable, then do a little finish sanding with something like #1500 or #2000 and then remove your sanding marks using the rotary buffer and a compound.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

thanks mike
          I did it over the past two days and wow ... it worked great

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');