• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Restoring an Old Aging Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Restoring an Old Aging Car

Hi all! My dad has this WHITE Volvo 760 GLE that has been sitting in the garage for a year untouched. Yesterday i was thinking of having a look at it to find out that it's really dirty. oil marks, poo from gecko's(my guess) are all over the surface. The most terrible part is to find some part of the edges has it's paint peeled off already and some parts are rusty. I did a test to the HOOD last night to see if i could see any changes to the paint.

taped Hood into 1/2
    wash both half's of hood with NXT Car Wash mix with GC Shampoo & cond. 50/50

clayed both half's of hood it with Detailing Clay-Aggressive w/ quik detailing spray
    Rewash & so forth
    drying water magnet towel
    DC1
    DC2
    2 coats of NXT wax liquid (45 mins apart)

when im done i took off the tape and was pretty much satisfied to see that the polished part was shiny and the other left out half is pretty much brownish and cloudy.(will post pictures soon) But, both has swirls that makes me pretty much tempting to get a rotary right now (planning to get it next month).

I've been going around surveying rotary buffers and i came across Bosch sander/polisher..is it good though? from what i've been told, any other pads can't be used with Bosch sander/polisher apart from the only two pads,polishing and buffing that they have.(...and Makita 9227(i think) is $500+ here)

well, anyways..need extreme advice on what exactly do i need to restore this old car. Need to make the best out of whats available(dont want to repaint.) but will be getting the professional line products soon.
    TIA.

Yus
    Yusri Omar
    Perfectshine Detail

Re: Help Restoring an Old Aging Car

Hi Yus,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Originally posted by shineshine View Post
    I've been going around surveying rotary buffers and i came across Bosch sander/polisher..is it good though? from what i've been told, any other pads can't be used with Bosch sander/polisher apart from the only two pads,polishing and buffing that they have.
    Most the feedback we hear about all of the available options to find a tool that is similar to the G100 Dual Action Polisher is that they don't have the power to remove defects.

(...and Makita 9227(i think) is $500+ here)
    Now this is a true rotary buffer and able to remove serious defects out of paint, at the same time you must be careful you don't make any mistakes as it does offer a lot of power.

well, anyways..need extreme advice on what exactly do i need to restore this old car. Need to make the best out of whats available(dont want to repaint.) but will be getting the professional line products soon.
    TIA.

Yus
    What year is this car?
    Does it have a clear coat finish or a singel stage finish?
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
      What year is this car?
      Does it have a clear coat finish or a singel stage finish?
      Im pretty sure that it's a 1989 Volvo 760.
      about the car paint, it doesnt look as glossy as to compare with today's cars(clear coated)..

(just got info from my dad), it's a single stage finish.

looking forward for your Pro advice.
      Thanks for helping Mike. you're the Best.

Yus
      Yusri Omar
      Perfectshine Detail

Comment

help,anyone.
        Yusri Omar
        Perfectshine Detail

Comment

help,anyone.
          Hi shineshine,

Sorry for the delay, we took the day off yesterday and did what's called,

push away from they keyboard

It's too easy to sit behind a computer and type answers 7 days a week but it's also not healthy for anyone to do this. Thanks for understanding.

Now about the paint on your Volvo, being that it's old, dirty, oxidized single stage white paint, here's a process for restoring it by hand, the most important step after claying will be the paint cleaning step and for this you're going to want to use and an effective paint cleaner, some application material with some bite and the human element of passion.

Wash and clay the entire car, wash the heck out of this car, scrub all the chrome, glass, rubber and plastic with your wash mitt and get it really clean.

For the paint, you're going to want to get yourself a peice of terry cloth and then your choice of either ScratchX or ColorX and rub-out the entire finish panel at a time. When you do this, you're going to want to really do a good job of working the product into and against the paint, putting plenty of passion behind your applicator pad.

For an example of what to do, read this thread,

Restoring single stage paint by hand

If you use ColorX you can either stop after the ColorX process or apply two coats of ColorX or follow the first coat with an application of NXT which means you're basically using the ColorX as a paint cleaner.

If you use ScratchX you'll want to follow up with a wax like NXT.

Hope this helps...
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hope this helps...
            That really helps Mike! & great write up to on
            the neighbour's ford(printed it out for reference) Thank you so much for the advice! will be starting on it soon then. Hopefully will post pictures when i get it done.

If you use ColorX you can either stop after the ColorX process or apply two coats of ColorX or follow the first coat with an application of NXT which means you're basically using the ColorX as a paint cleaner.

If you use ScratchX you'll want to follow up with a wax like NXT.
            Another question Mike...
            no polish process? could i add up DC2?

or even maybe i could just wait for next month and get the rotary(i made up my mind to buy the makita 9227) along with using the pro line. eyeing for
            #7 = Show Car Glaze
            #10 = Clear Plastic Polish
            #17 = Clear Plastic Cleaner
            #18 = Clear Plastic Detailer
            #26 = Hi-Tech Yellow Wax
            #28 = All Metal Polish
            #80 = Speed Glaze
            #82 = Swirl Free Polish
            #83 = Dual Action Cleaner/Polish

TQ,TQ,TQ again Mike!
            Yusri Omar
            Perfectshine Detail