• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oxidized Fiberglass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxidized Fiberglass

Well... I've been using my PC and Meguiar's products for a few weeks now, with mainly great results. The only major stumbling block has been my mini motorhome. The gel coat was heavily oxidized. I bought and tried M67, M50, M44, all with poor results. I would spend quite a bit of time on a small area, with not much improvement. While reading on websites having to do with fiberglass boats, I ran across several recomendations for Bon Ami Cleaner. Yes.... Bon Ami! Not the cleanser, but the original 1886 formula cleaner. I found some at my local True Value Hardware, ($2.19), and thought, what the heck, I'll give it a try.

Holy smokes! 2 hours of hand rubbing with a wet terry cloth and Bon Ami made into a paste, and the oxidation is all but gone!! Smooth as glass, with no sign of scratching or swirls! I've now washed it 2 times to get all the residue from the Bon Ami off. I'm trying now to decide whether to go over it with M44 and then Flagship Marine wax, or just M50, followed by Flagship.

I think there was so much loose oxidized material, it just kept gunking up the pad on my PC, not allowing it and the polish's to do their job. That's my very un-expert guess anyway. I had washed it with pretty aggresive stuff before, but it didn't touch most of the oxidation.

YMMV, but this newbie's pretty happy with the results so far. Stay tuned for finished product pics, I didn't get any before pics.
    "Now go home and get your shine box"

Billy Batts in Goodfellas

Re: Oxidized Fiberglass

"The oxidation is all but gone!"

SO its still there?

Comment

Re: Oxidized Fiberglass

Originally posted by SL1CK View Post
      "The oxidation is all but gone!"

SO its still there?
      A tiny bit here and there, probably just spots I missed by hand. I'm sure #50 will take off anything left. Looking at it again tonight I think thats all I'm going to need to do, M50, with maybe some Flagship as a topper.

Comment

#50 worked fantastic!!

I did a section of the motorhome today, and it looks great! I was really getting discouraged with trying to do fiberglass, but I'm convinced now it was just the loose oxidation getting in the way. Bon Ami really worked for me as a fast and easy way to prep the surface for polishing with the PC. Maybe there's other ways of doing it, but nothing else I tried worked.

I did take a few pics, I'll try and post them later. But M50 and an W8006 really worked well, removing what was left of the oxidation, and getting rid of scratches and swirls from past poor washing techniques. I think it shines better now than it did when I bought it new!

It's going to take me a while to finish, since I don't have any shade for it, so early morning/evening is the only time I can work on it, but I'm excited that I am going to be able to restore it!! I'll take pics along the way!

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');