• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water spots under the clear coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water spots under the clear coat?

I recently purchased a 2006 Jeep Wrangler. It is also black. After I washed it for the first few times I started to notice what looked like water spots all over the hood. When I run my fingertips over them, the surface is smooth as silk. Is it possible to have water spots underneath the clear cloat? I'm not sure what it could be and how to remove it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We are going to need some pictures to help you out with this one.

In a word, no, there probably aren't water spots under your clear coat. The fact that you cannot feel them with your fingers doesn't mean they aren't on the surface or very close to it. You can't feel swirl marks with your bare fingers either, and they are basically on the surface.

If they are under the clear coat, it is most likely what is described below...

It is probably a defect on the color-layer of your paint system. Basically, it sounds like the factory might have clear coated OVER a sub-par paint job.

I had something that sounds very similar to what you are describing on my wifes VW a couple years back.

Post some pics and we will be more than happy to help you out further.

Welcome to MOL!
    Nate Williams
    N.E.W.car Mobile Detailing

Comment

Thank you for the info and for the welcome! I am taking it in to get buffed Tuesday because when I bought it there were some scratches on the hood. I'm hoping that a buff job might clear it out.

Comment

That's either acid rain, water spot, or bird poop etching. It has changed the refractive characteristics of the clear coat in that area, which is why you can see it and it appears to be "in" the paint, rather than on top. Remember that clear coat layer is less than .002" thick. The spots may come out when you have the car "buffed".

Comment

Originally posted by Cleetus
          Thank you for the info and for the welcome! I am taking it in to get buffed Tuesday because when I bought it there were some scratches on the hood. I'm hoping that a buff job might clear it out.
          I don't want to scare you - but if you are taking it to the dealer to get it "buffed out", the chances of getting somebody who knows what they are doing is slim to none.
          Every time I have purchased a new car, I tell them not to touch it - just leave it dusty.
          Nate Williams
          N.E.W.car Mobile Detailing

Comment

Re: Water spots under the clear coat?

Originally posted by Cleetus View Post
            Is it possible to have water spots underneath the clear cloat?
            well... maybe- if it was raining inside the factory. More likely it could've been polished out- damage is still there (too deep for complete removal), but edges rounded off (by polishing) to where you can't feel it but can still see it.

I suppose the clear could've been re-shot, though I'd think that possibility is extremely remote.

I bought a car (at night- never again!) that was heavily spotted/pitted.
            The dealership said it was etched too deep to wetsand out, & repainted the entire car. Be very careful how you proceed. I agree with the others that you should find a good, professional detailer to assess & possibly correct the paint, unless you're WELL familiar with the dealership/detailer's credentials.

Sometimes, your best option may be to do nothing at all...

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents worth...
            R. Smith
            Santa Clarita, CA

Comment

Re: Water spots under the clear coat?

Thanks guys for all the helpful replies. Well after reading some of these posts when I went to the dealer I just had them buff a few scratches. I was gun shy about having them doing the whole hood, afraid they would totally trash it. I put a good coat of wax on there which has seemed to help but I think the best thing would be to leave it go until next spring then have a professional detailer check it out.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');