• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how long should I wait....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how long should I wait....

Im aware of the 60-90 days to apply wax after a new paint job. I just got my truck back from the body shop today from having the hood painted from my mishap of going through the clear and down to the primer. I asked the guy there if I should wait 60-90 days before applying wax and he said I can do it when ever I want because the hood was removed from the truck while it was painted and they use a high tech heat lamp that bakes the paint. Is that true or to be on the safe side should I just wait the 60-90 days? I think I remember reading on here that #80 will give me little protection on it, but not nearly as much as a wax would.

Thanks
    Nick

Personally, to be safe, I would wait. When I had body kit peices painted on my old car, the guy said to wait.

Make sure you wash and use QD on it for good measure though on a regular basis.
    2003 Toyota Celica GT- Silver Streak Mica

Comment

Re: how long should I wait....

well...if he told you he used the paint baking lamp, the pieces should be ready to wax, but still instead of waiting 60 to 90 days, wait from 20 to 40 days.

paint baking systems accelerate paint curing, and I don't think body shops that use these systems, differ much from the paint baking systems used ad car assembling plants.

however you can use M80 (speed glaze) or 3M's PIII finishing glaze. both will give you protection and it's for around a month (that's what the PES video said about M80 hehe)

Hope this helps
      " Sometimes logic is your friend (Mike-In-Orange)"

Comment

Originally posted by Paramedic View Post
        ... I asked the guy there if I should wait 60-90 days before applying wax and he said I can do it when ever I want because the hood was removed from the truck while it was painted and they use a high tech heat lamp that bakes the paint. Is that true ...? ...
        No.

Unless he can show you the thermometer he used to measure surface temperature, a log sheet of the actual measurements at multiple points on the panel (including dwell time) and a copy of the coating manufacturer's drying schedule that indicates the aforementioned data falls within their recommendations for waxable cure, don't believe him.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc View Post
          No.

Unless he can show you the thermometer he used to measure surface temperature, a log sheet of the actual measurements at multiple points on the panel (including dwell time) and a copy of the coating manufacturer's drying schedule that indicates the aforementioned data falls within their recommendations for waxable cure, don't believe him.

PC.
          That makes perfect sense to me. Im not sure on how the surface was "cured" in there terms. The painters helper I talked to there claimed there DeVilbiss Downdraft paint booth will heat up to 400 degrees to cure the paint which takes 45 minutes. 400 degrees to me would seem to have some type of effect on the plastic trim parts on a vehicle. I also see they have heat lamps around there too. They are a Sikkens shop so I will have to check the sikkens website for a product tech sheet for what they used to check and be sure of for myself.

If you’ve been in an accident be sure to call Olson’s Auto Body in Traverse City, MI. We have over 40 years experience in auto body repairs and we’ll treat you like family. (231) 947-4499.

Thanks!
          Nick

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');