• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird build up on plastic bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird build up on plastic bumper

Hi,

Used my new PC for the first time this weekend on the wifes black 2002 I35. Everything was going well and was wrapping up with the rear bumper when I ran into something I wasn't expecting. The 80 speed glaze wouldn't come off on the lower portion of the bumper. This area on the plastic rear bumper looked horrible. My steps were clay, 80, and then NXT, the only difference for the bumper was I used some Tarminator tar remover first on the area behind the rear tires. It appears that there is some kind of build up that seems to lock up the 80 into it. I tried a few things, Scratch X, dishwashing soap on towel, even a little lacquer thinner but nothing seemed to cut it. Finally tried some Isopropyl Alcohol and that seems to break it down though still not to my satisfaction. Polished again with more 80 and it brightened but noticed if I ran my hand over the area some of this build up would roll up and fall off. These areas will now polish up well but I still have some areas which still seem to have this buildup. Ran out of time tonight but will continue if time permits this week, hoping someone may have an idea whats going on here or may have experienced this before...

Re: Weird build up on plastic bumper

Sounds like the Tarminator tar remover may have reacted with the paint on the bumper softening it, then when you buffed with the M80 it stuck onto the softened coating.

What was the final result?
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');