• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

getting wax/polish, etc off plastic trim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: getting wax/polish, etc off plastic trim?

Originally posted by sunny2185 View Post
    are u sure?
    Yes. It works for me.
    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
      The Peanut Butter trick is posted all over the Internet, but in reality, it's not the Peanut Butter, as in the peanut part, but the oil in the peanut butter that does the dissolving. A person could avoid the peanut butter part, the actual peanut portion of peanut butter and just use cooking vegetable oil.

It's the same tip/trick for removing/dissolving chewing gum out of carpet or hair.
      That takes the fun out of It
      Rick

Comment

Wax on plastic or vinyl will come off much easier if the surface is warm. When I had this problem with my wife's Volvo, I parked it so the sun was shining directly on the side vinyl. After a few hours, the wax had expanded out of the pores. Used vinyl cleaner to remove the wax. You could also use a hair dryer to warm up the surface.
        Art Layton
        2009 Jetta TDI

Comment

When I bought my car it had wax on the black plastic mirrors and cowl cover. I used GC trim detailer and a soft toothbrush, removed the built up wax and brought the plastic back to life (turned back to deep black instead of brownish black).

Comment

Another trick I have used before which you an use very precisely is to use a pencil eraser. It works pretty darn well.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
            Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

A dry Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works fast with little effort. I haven't had any problems with it, but I'm always careful around the paint.

Comment

Originally posted by noswirler View Post
                real quick, coat all trim BEFORE polishing or waxing work every time
                Really? I'm wondering on the best order for that.

If you coat the trim before though, you may get wax on it after and have to re-coat it. Is that only recommended if you tape up the trim?

Couldn't the trap leave some residue behind too?

Comment

Originally posted by noswirler View Post
                  real quick, coat all trim BEFORE polishing or waxing work every time
                  Originally posted by xantonin View Post
                  Really? I'm wondering on the best order for that.

If you coat the trim before though, you may get wax on it after and have to re-coat it. Is that only recommended if you tape up the trim?

Couldn't the trap leave some residue behind too?

Just to note, Meguiar's doesn't recommend dressing trim as a preventative measure against staining caused by compounds, polishes and waxes.

Instead, we teach people to slow down and be careful and avoid getting these types of product on trim in the first place.

If you want to take an extra precaution to prevent staining of trim then use blue painters tape and tape-off and cover any trim you want to protect.

Just posted some answers about this here,

Originally posted by KrytikalMedic View Post
                  Also, any good recommendations for keeping wax off of the black plastic trim on my vehicle? Or, what is the best way to remove it?

Be careful, pay attention, don't run your applicator pad into or over any black plastic trim or rubber. There's also blue painter's tape.

How to tape-off a car

Basically you use painters tape and whatever else you can find to cover over anything you don't want to get polish or wax splatter on. The Corvette below was put through a complete buff-out using a rotary buffer, thus the side pipes and event the tires and wheels were covered to prevent any splatter from the rotating pad on the rotary buffer from getting on these components.

During the process

Afterwards on display

How far you want to go with your car is up to you and how you plan on applying the products.

By hand you can avoid taping anything off as long as you slow down and work carefully.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike, that answered a question I've had for a while.

I was originally concerned over using the trim products after waxing because I feared if they were too strong in cleaning agents they may strip the wax or damage the paint.

Comment

Originally posted by xantonin View Post
                      I was originally concerned over using the trim products after waxing because I feared if they were too strong in cleaning agents they may strip the wax or damage the paint.
                      When it comes to Meguiar's trim product, you're above concern would be the least of my worries.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

That's good to know, thank you!

I imagine then that the cleaning process is best as follows:

1) Paint
                        2) Trim/Tires
                        3) WINDOWS!

Haha, I figure Windows should be last since the trim product may smear them.

Comment

I found,quite by accident,using a dry wash KOZAK and rubbing the trim hard it removes the residue and leaves a nice finish.
                          roger

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                            The Peanut Butter trick is posted all over the Internet, but in reality, it's not the Peanut Butter, as in the peanut part, but the oil in the peanut butter that does the dissolving. A person could avoid the peanut butter part, the actual peanut portion of peanut butter and just use Cooking Vegetable oil.

I was clumsy too.I tried your method yesterday,checked today and it worked perfectley.Prevention is better than cure,but can't always be helped.

Thanks Mike for that tip!!

Comment

usually some M40 does the trick for me.
                              Nick
                              Tucker's Detailing Services
                              815-954-0773
                              2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');