• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratches in Fiberglass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratches in Fiberglass

I have some scratches (not deep really, probably better called "scuffs") on the upper cowling of a jetski. Since that part is fiberglass, I was wondering if it could be rubber out with Scratch-X like auto finishes, or if there is something better or more effective that should be used?

if it through the gell coat and you can see the fiberglass then probably not. You would have to use a gelcoat filler to fill it in. I had some deep scrapes on my boat from the previous owner from beaching it on sandbars that had big rocks on them.

Comment

Scratch in Fiberglass

In this case it's not that deep. Looks almost like a dirt streak. Can't really even feel much difference funning your finger over the surface. I didn't know if the fiberglass surface could be treated like an auto surface or if there is a different set of products that should be used.

Comment

Fiberglass is much harder then a bc/cc automotive finish. You will can probably try some Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover #49 or some #67 One Step Compound. By hand you may not get the results you are looking for, You will probably need a rotary to get the results you want, but the DA should help to improve it some.

Nick

Comment

Re: Scratch in Fiberglass

In this case I'd suggest starting off with the least aggressive method first. Use our Mirror Glaze Color Restorer #44 along with a foam applicator pad. It's the least aggressive gel coat cleaner we offer. You may need tp apply it multiple times in order to remove the defects on the jet ski's gelcoat, some may be deeper than you think. Also, we do have an entire product line dedicated to gel coat finishes like on boats and RV's. If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Originally posted by bnbkansas
          In this case it's not that deep. Looks almost like a dirt streak. Can't really even feel much difference funning your finger over the surface. I didn't know if the fiberglass surface could be treated like an auto surface or if there is a different set of products that should be used.

Comment

Scratch in fiberglass

Jorge, Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot and see what happens!

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');