• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratches on polished wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratches on polished wheels

My moms 03 CTS has some dealer installed scratches on the factory polished wheels. what do I need to remove them?
    I have #83 and #80 Will either of them work using a PC?

Are they polished aluminum, or clearcoated at all?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
      Are they polished aluminum, or clearcoated at all?
      I'm not sure. Can I tell by looking at them?

Comment

Maybe. But you would really have to know what you are looking at.

I know if you take a metal polish, and rub it on metal, it will turn black, while on clear coat, it wont. I am not sure if the same holds true for a paint cleaner.

Also, are these deep scratches, or just more like swirls? If they are too deep, you of course wont be able to remove them just with a little polishing. You could at least improve them though.

Comment

they are light scratches and swirls

heres a pic of another i found car with the same wheels If that helps

Comment

I dunno really... could be either. Maybe someone here has those wheels, or you will just have to try rubbing some cleaner on and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
              I dunno really... could be either. Maybe someone here has those wheels, or you will just have to try rubbing some cleaner on and see what happens.
              Murr, thanks for the help

Matt

Comment

No problem.

I was thinking, do you have exhaust tips, or even a bare aluminum muffler you can reach? Those are usualy uncoated. You could rub some #80 on those and see if it turns black or not. Hopefully it does, then compare that to the wheels.

Comment

If those wheels are factory installed then most likely they are clear coated. If they are dealer installed it could be either.

If they are clear coated then you can treat it just like the paint on your car. The same products will apply. Like #80, #83, scratch-X.
                  -Bob
                  NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Originally posted by RDVT4ME
                    If those wheels are factory installed then most likely they are clear coated. If they are dealer installed it could be either.

If they are clear coated then you can treat it just like the paint on your car. The same products will apply. Like #80, #83, scratch-X.

they are factory installed wheels.
                    Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');