• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

polishing aluminum wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polishing aluminum wheels

what should i use to polish aluminum wheels on a semi. I did some a month ago and i used mothers polish with a powerball. the wheels where shiny but not like i expected. what else can i use to get them to shine really good. is there any kind of buffers to use. any help is appriciated.

First, I assume you are sure they are bare aluminum, cause I have no idea.

Meguiars Nxt Metal Polysh is a really great product to use.

As far as machines, check out the thread
    "Blinded by the Shine" by 2hotford. I think he uses a rotary however on the boat. There is another thread by someone restoring a diamond plate tool chest with Nxt Metal Polysh.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

a terry cloth towel, and the nxt metal polish really works wonders on polished metals. if the wheels are bad, it may take a few towels, but the results are astounding. i too used a powerball, and it seemed good for an initial pass, but i went back over the wheel by hand, and the towel still had plenty of sut and whatnot on it.

i had a laugh when my sister was polishing silver from the early 1900s with some "silver polish". i told her i had something that she might want to try. i went out and got a terry cloth with some nxt polish, and gave it a shot. this stuff is incredible. ill try to get a few pictures in the future. great product

Comment

Nxt gene all metal polish is very good and all but have you ever tried to do a semi by hand......there has to be a product(s) to you spray on....leave for a little while and wipe or spray of with applying a spray wax or protectant over the top.

From detailing motorcycles it takes me about 2 hours to do the painted surfaces from wash to wax and another 4 to 6 to polish the metal sufaces by hand with nxt gene all metal polish....

Any hints.....Mike?

Comment

The only way to polish is to actualy polish the surface.

But, you could always use a wheel cleaner first, esp if you have them polished already. I use the Multi-Piece wheel cleaner on my muffler/tips for washes after having polished them.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hey,

I have done a lot of metal polishing and I have yet to find a liquid spray on type of cleaner than will bring aluminum to a bright shine. Yes, you can use an aluminum safe wheel cleaner to clean the wheels, but as the others have said, polishing is required for a high gloss. Do NOT use Meg's Wheel Brigthener or other wheel acids unless it says that it aluminum safe.

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');