• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoring paint, help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring paint, help please!

O.K., I'm confused! I have been using some Meguire's products, but apparently not correctly. I need to start over with my paint detailing. I want to remove all the wax ,remove the swirls and fine scratches, then wax/polish the paint to a show shine. This is old black paint (1978), that has been cared for and it still has a lot of gloss, just shows a lot of cleaning flaws from the years. The car has always been garaged. I joined the forum, then went to the products section and did the recommendation thing. Then when I go to the products, it's very confusing! Maybe someone could help me accomplish my goal?

This is a 1963 Corvette Roadster that I drive whenever I have an opportunity, and we show it at local shows, informally of course. I would like to put some new life in my old paint!
    When duty calls, you've got balls. . . . Ball
    Brothers Novalties!

Well, the List 'O Links that I provided really hit on alot of the necessary items and procedures to get that Vette lookin like it should.

Meguiars recommends that you always use the least aggressive method to produce the results that you desire, which I would assume is a nearly perfect finish in this case.

Frank 'N' Vette, are you going to be working by hand or utilizing a Dual-Action polisher such as the Meguiars G100 (also known as Porter Cable--PC for short)???

Here is a link to a thread to really show you what is possible, and also how a black vette should look (I know, this is a C5, but you get the idea).

Mike Phillips' Awesome 1999 Vette Restore.

Please look at the above link, and also read through the List 'O Links, and you will soon see what potential that Split-Window Coupe has. A clean black vette is one of the most beautiful cars that ever see.

Comment

The absolute best thing for you would be to order the "How-To Use a PC for Showcar Results" DVD by Mike Phillips and Richard Lin. You can order it from AutodetailingSolutions.com or Showcargarage.com. I do not believe it will be on sale forever, and they just happen to detail a 1960 Tuxedo Black Corvette....
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Matt, Murr1525, thanks for the follow up. I have started reading the links and am gaining some confidence about the required proceedure. Will do some more research before psoting again.
        Brothers Novalties!

Comment

Feel free to ask away anytime, its not really a hard procedure either way, by hand or machine. But swirl removal on a whole car ***** by hand...

So I cant recomend that video enough, even though a machine polisher is obvioulsy a bit more of an investment.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Just ordered the video! Thanks Murr1525!
            Brothers Novalties!

Comment

Frank 'N' Vette just called regarding his paint correction...

Seems the 63 Vette was repainted in the late seventies, and has a bit of orange peel, in addition to 30 years of swirls.

Hopefully, Frank 'N' Vette will find time to stop by so we can visually evaluate the paint finish...

Might be a great opportunity for a before and after photo shoot.

Frank 'N' Vette is understandably concerned about costs, and I won't know till I see it, of course...

We'll followup, for sure.

Jim
              If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

Re: Restoring paint, help please!

Originally posted by Jimmy Buffit View Post
                Frank 'N' Vette just called regarding his paint correction...
                Hey Jim,

Whatever came from this?
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Restoring paint, help please!

yea let us know
                  MY NEW WORD "SWIRLFREENESS"
                  FOR ANY CHRYSLER 300/DODGE MAGNUM/DODGE CHARGER/ DODGE CHALLENGER VISIT WWW.LXFORUMS.COM

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');