• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratch X to remove bird droppings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratch X to remove bird droppings

Mike recently posted a method of removing bird droppings that have etched into the clear coat. He recommended Scratch X and multiple applications, which did the trick! Emphasis is definitely on applying more than once and working the product in thoroughly. Prior to this, I assumed the bird dropping was etched permanently into the clear coat and base coat. I tried the method Mike suggested (took about 15 minutes and multiple applications of fresh Scratch X).

I don't know if the pic is going to show too much detail, but you can get the gist of it.

Card carrying Wax-aholic

Hi Totoland Mach,

Good job on the bird etching removal, it is kind of hard to see the after but that's usually the case. I take photo's all the time of defects before removing them, and then after removing them... there's nothing to photograph!

I took the liberty to upload and insert your photo into your gallery.

I have disabled the Attach File option in vbulletin because over time is it a bad use of resources. It' better to upload your photo's into the Gallery and then use the IMG button to insert them like I did below.

Here's a link to a tutorial that shows how to upload photos into the Gallery and then insert them.

Step-by-Step Picture-Posting HOW TO

There are some more tutorials in the below forum for working with images.

Forum Technical Help Desk

Good job! I'm really glad my little how-to for ScratchX helped you. I have e-mails from other people that are trying the same thing. On another forum, there is a guy thinking about wet sanding his bird dropping etching out, this can risk removing too much clear coat from the surface as some did point out. I wanted to chime in and offer my suggestion of ScratchX but the people on that forum tend to recommend non-Meguiar's products.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike: Thanks for the info on photo uploading and linking. You might tell the person thinking about wet sanding that Scratch X might be his/her solution. I know, I was thinking about wet sanding before your article (which is not for a beginner like me), and the information in the artilce did the trick for me.
      Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

a better pic of the before shot

Here is a better pic of the bird dropping before I applied Scratch X. Elbow grease coupled with this product is the answer.

Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

Re: a better pic of the before shot

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Totoland Mach
          [B]Here is a better pic of the bird dropping before I applied Scratch X. Elbow grease coupled with this product is the answer.

Birds love to drop Poos on dark color cars.

Comment

this car was a repo i bought in Feb...I should have taken pics then but it was too doggone cold! Last washed..unknown, last oil or any service...unknown, 4 flat tires, no gas cap, an interior my dogs refused to even get in, cig tar on all inside glass plus headliner...sometimes I still wonder if I purchased a good deal. It has taken some months and $$$ but is slowly getting there.

You are right about birds though.
            Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

Hey,

I am glad the ScratchX worked on the etching!

Just a side note about wet sanding:

Wet sanding is a whole different ball game. Wet sanding, especially on OEM paint can be very difficult as the BC/CC can be quite hard. So while the sand paper may remove the etching, scratches etc, it can be VERY difficult to remove the sanding marks afterwards. Most of the time it will take a rotary, a wool pad and #85 Diamond Cut 2.0 to remove them. I have seen a lot of people try lighter compounds and the sanding marks "appear" to be gone until the paint is looked at under direct light. Then the marks will be there. Moreover, if you wet sand a small spot, you may cause a "valley" that will be quite visible.

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

how to scratch x....

i used it a couple of times,by hand,and i was not very impressed by the results.i think i did not use it right.but i can't find the how to,by Mike.the results i see here,are the results i would expect.
                maybe someone can tell me where i can find the tips for this product?

bye,
                Rick

Comment

Here you go,

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Mike
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...