• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing plastic bumpers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing plastic bumpers

A lot of great info here, but I don't see anything about plastic bumpers....

I have a 10 year old Red Sunfire Conv. and the paint is OK on the metal but on the plastic bumpers it's oxodized and faded. Through research, I understand why this happens but haven't found any help with bring the luster back to life.

What are the best and safest products for this?? I just bought the ColorX and NXT liquid wax to try.

Thanks

Painted plastic bumpers are coated the same way as the car (in most cases).

So a primer, base coat and clear coat on top of it. You can use the same workflow as you would do so on the car.

I'd suggest / try the 3-step system to restore the colour, gloss and reflection.

Though I understand that ColorX has some good cleaning abilities as well and it actually "replaces" the three products.

As always, whenever you use a "mixed up" product, it has some cleaning, some polishing and some wax powers but it's not as powerful as the three seperate products.

You should however be able to bring those bumpers back to life with the colorX / NXT combination. Just remember that to get the cleaner in ColorX to work, you can try to use a terry cloth towel instead of an applicator pad to get a more "agressive" workout.

You can read Mike's write-up about a 1986 Ford Bronco. He used ColorX with great success on that car.
    showroomglaze.net

Comment

What if the bumpers are not painted, as in just black. Is there a way to restore its finish? The bumpers are somewhat faded black already. Any advise?

Comment

The problem with plastic bumpers is that they usually have a “structure”. Plastic is made of pores and the dirt is actually what makes them look faded.

You can use Trim Detailer
        The problem with plastic bumpers is that they usually have a “structure”. Plastic is made of pores and the dirt is actually what makes them look faded.

You can use Trim Detailer
        Gold Class Trim Detailer

It seems that there is also a new trim detailer
        NEW Exterior Trim Detailer

The problem with Trim Detailer is that it makes the plastic black again, it only lasts about one to two weeks (depending on environmental conditions). It sits on top of the dirt and is (according to my experience) sometimes unable to actually “clean” the plastic.

I haven’t tried it yet, but Sven (Meguiars Belgium distributor) told me to try some carpet / interior cleaner first on the trim (which should be able to clean the pores) and then use Trim Detailer.

The problem with Trim Detailer is that it makes the plastic black again, it only lasts about one to two weeks (depending on environmental conditions). It sits on top of the dirt and is (according to my experience) sometimes unable to actually “clean” the plastic.

I haven’t tried it yet, but Sven (Meguiars Belgium distributor) told me to try some carpet / interior cleaner first on the trim (which should be able to clean the pores) and then use Trim Detailer.

Originally posted by simonsheena
        What if the bumpers are not painted, as in just black. Is there a way to restore its finish? The bumpers are somewhat faded black already. Any advise?
        showroomglaze.net

Comment

Just to add, while Meguiars dressings, like Trim Detailer, All-Season Dressing, etc might have some mild cleaning ability, as was mentioned, they are not going to remove a lot of dirt/grime.

You would want a product like #39 Rubber/Vinyl Cleaner to apply and work in first, then put your dressing on top.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Painted bumpers

Thanks for the suggestions...

How agressive can I get on the bumpers?

I read that the paint / clear coat is thinner and if you get too agressive you'll end up at the primer.

Thanks

Comment

Are you working by hand, PC, rotary?

By hand or PC and a foam applicator, you can work the cleaner in as much as you need to.

Obvioulsy a rotary should only be uised by an experienced person, or yes, you will fly right through quickly.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

If it is unpainted, I reckon NXT tech protectant will do a fine job, it returned my pale,faded plastic bumper to a cool shade of dark grey.

It also lasts for a long time, weeks of rain and washes did not seem to make it go away.

It's as if the bumper 'absorbed' NXT tech protectant and retained it's looks. It is also suitable for the interior(warning: high gloss) and engine compartment dressing.

just my 2 cents .

Comment

I will try those. Thanks for the advise. I'll take pics as well so I can post them for you to see. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');