• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem w/Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem w/Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner

Last week I used Megs Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner on an mega custom black leather seat. Product went on great and lookd and felt good when done. Rubbed it in really good and wiped off any excess. A couple hours later I started to see what looked like a white wax buildup in all the stitching and in the leather grain. I freaked out! This can wind up costing me a lot of $$$!!!

I proceeded to start really rubbing with clean cloths and using a toothbrush in all the seams. Took me about 6 hours to clean it up. Looked like I got it all out. The next morning I looked and all the white wax buildup is back!!! Started using the toothbrush in the seams again and wiping the grain real good again. Couple hours went by and the seams didn't look as bad but the white wax is coming back in the leather grain.

I then got some Prime Neetsfoot Oil and really gave the seats a rubbing. Been 24 hours now and only a little white stuff appearing. I think I can maybe get it all off if I keep working the Neetsfoot Oil in over the next couple days. So far I've put about 24 hours of recovery into this seat!!

I know the problems associated w/Neetsfoot on stitching but this isn't a petroleum based oil.

What a DISASTER!! I think that the white wax stuff is there on colored leather but doesn't show up like it does on the black leather. Any suggestions??? I hope this stuff didn't ruin a custom black leather seat!!!!!!! I am pretty mad right now about this whole deal. I didn't call Megs Customer Support yet, I was waiting until I cooled off, probably call tomorrow.

Anyone else ever experience anything like this????? Any suggestions.

I only experienced this problem on Black Leather. I haven't found any way around this. I tried different methods to get the build-up out, but nothing really helped. I was told that I had used too much product, which was the cause of the problem. I ended up stripping the Leather Cleaner with APC, and it worked. But left alone the APC would dry out my leather. So when Meg's came out with the Leather Wipes, I tried them out, and problem solved. Give them a try next time, and see if it helps.

Never argue with an Idiot.. They'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience..

Comment

We have no idea why you would be getting these kind of results with this product. We'll send an e-mail with a link to this thread to Customer Care, plus Tom McDonald and Mike Pennington and see if they can help science out what's taking place and a remedy.

Don't worry, Meguiar's will take care of you.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I called Meg's customer service today about this problem. I forget the person's name I spoke to, but I kinda think it was Tom. He explained that anything black is tough, this applies to paint and/or leather. He recommended that I remove the cleaner/conditioner with warm water on a rag. I explained that I have been wiping it off like that for the past 3 days but it keeps coming out!!! He then went on to say that the problem is probably with the leather used for the seat rather than the cleaner/conditioner. He said it was probably a low grade of leather. Sounds like the typical case of everybody blaming someone elses product. He also said that I should have tested the cleaner/conditioner on a small test patch rather than doing the entire seat. I explained to him that it takes about 6 hours for the problem to appear, so how long am I to wait after doing a test spot? He didn't have any answer.

He told me that he would speak to their R&D people about my concerns, but all he could really do for me is send me a free bottle of leather conditioner and a free bottle of leather cleaner. I accepted them.

Am I satisfied? Well..... Yes & no. I never expected them to replace the seat, not really sure what I expected them to do. I guess I am happy I got 2 free bottles of conditioner, although this was a small price to reimburse me for several days of product removal.

All I can say in the end is to not use this product on black leather!!!

PS: I tested this product today on a pair of OLD black leather motorcycle gloves. Same problem with white showing up in all the seams and indentations.

Comment

This product G/C Leather Cleaner/ Conditioner is an exceptional product that has about an 8 year history of performing very well on all colors and types of leather. In fact, the GC leather is the #3 overall selling product in that catagory. The GC Leather Spray is #1 in its catagory.

Your situation was very untique and I admit we did not have all the answers. The Neats foot oil had almost completely corrected the problem, so I offered a refund for your time and trouble and you choose the complimentary products instead.

Those products should be to you within 5-7 business days and I look forward to having you try them.

Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you, and will make every effort to prevent a recurrence.

Kindest regards,

Tom Mac Donald
          Meguiar's Inc
          Manager- Quality Assurance/ Customer Retention

Comment

Tom, I appreciate your response to this problem. I tried to detail the problem and the conversation we had today as best I could from what I remembered. I didn't take any notes.

I forgot, you did mention you would refund me the purchase price of the product but I chose the free product replacement instead. Al I was really hoping for was to spare someone else the time and aggravation I went through.

When I spoke to you today I mentioned that the product had a waxey feeling when it dried. I think you said that you weren't sure if there was any wax in it or not, but would ask your people. Did you ever find out any more about this?

I want to state that I do a lot of leather cleaning & restoration work for myself and others. All my vehicles have leather interiors, plus my Harley has a $1,200 custom black leather seat. That was the seat I had the problem with. I have never had a problem with this product in the past, but I also never used it on black leather either, this was the first time. I find it best to use as little product on leather as is necessary, and to also as infrequently as possible. More damage is done to leather by people trying make it better and take care of it, than ever is ruined from neglect.

I will continue to use this product where appropriate, but will most likely switch to the products you are sending me. I prefer single stage products over multi-use products.

Again, I still think there is a problem with this product on black leather. Hope your staff can find a resolution.

Thanks for your time and consideration!
            Jim

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');