• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beading vs. Sheeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave_st170
    So if i applied to coats of NXT (12hr between) then a coat of
    #16 would that bead or sheet??

Do you apply 1 or 2 coats of #16 wax after NXT???

Thanks
    Dave
    Anything with a coat of #16 on top will bead profusely.

I'd apply one thin coat of #16 and don't use a lot of rubbing pressure.
    Jim
    My Gallery

Comment

Thanks m8

Dave
      Focus ST170
      Imperial Blue
      Climate Pack & Spoiler (3dr)
      Xenons and more...

www.allfords.net *Forum for all Fords

Comment

I am still confused with sheeting/beeding.

On this picture, NXT beeds water just like other waxes.

I stumbled across this forum while searching for accessories for my newly purchased PC (bought some pads from CMA). This forum is a wealth of knowledge

My 1992 Mercedes manual says I need to wax when water does not beed on paint. From the usage of terms cleaing and polishing, I guess Meguiars made Mercedes waxes at that time too.
        Last edited by ktlimq; Mar 8, 2005, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Well, at the most basic, some waxes make water bead up on the surface, and some make water sheet off the car.

There can be plenty of discussion about which is better, but if you are reguarly maintaing your car, really it is just which you like better.

However, one thing about a wax that beads is that it is sort of a visual indicator as to if your wax is gone or not (when it stops beading, its gone). This is like what Mercedes said in the book you have. But they assume you used a wax that beads.

If you chose a wax that sheets, then it will never bead, whether there is wax or not, and you generaly have to use more of a touch test to see how your wax is doing.

Meguiars makes both kinds of waxes, since custmers like both kinds. Most of the waxes seem pretty clear cut, either beading or sheeting, though this Nxt seems to be a bit inbetween perhaps. (I havent tried it just yet to give my own opinion on Nxt wax).

Hope this helps, or ask some more..
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

When it rains, I see some cars have very thin sheet of water on every painted panel (it looks very different from the sheeting on Barry Meguiar's Car Care Clinics video – for final rinse take spray nozzle off your hose. . . . .. ).

I thought these cars were not waxed for a couple of years. But it could be that these cars have "sheeting" wax or sealant?

Comment

Well, if the car is generaly dirty, and the water seems to be in a thin layer, then it probably needs some wax.. you can sometimes make a good guess from the overall look of the ccar.

But you're right, lots of factors go into how it looks. Different companies waxes may have different results, and a hose rinse and rain fall will leave the water behind differently as well.

It may also help to point out that sheeting is short for 'sheeting off', as in most water should sheet off the paint, not cling to it. That is why some people like a sheeting wax, becasue as the water sheets off, a lot of the pollution in the water, like acid rain, will go off your car as well. A wax the beads can keep the water on the surface, allowing the water and acid rain to stay on your surface.

It may sound obvious, leaving acid rain on the car vs. getting more of it off, but if you are maintaining your finish, the acid should never get to do much damage, and it just comes back to personal preference.

Other questions?
              Last edited by Murr1525; Mar 9, 2005, 02:15 PM.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

When water sheets on a waxed surface, it should roll of the paint relatively soon. If it just sits there, in my experience, the wax is probably gone.

RamAirV1
                2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Automotive Wax & Sealant Study

If you are interested I have a study that was done of 25 of the more popular paint sealant and wax products used by detailers in the USA and Canada.

The controlled test measured three things:

1. Reflective gloss before and after application and the percentage of increase in gloss.

2. Gloss retention after 12 washings

3. Resistence to salt water corrosion

You will be surprised at the results, Zymol was one of the products tested, for your information.

Let me know and I will send you a copy.

Bud Abraham
                  DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS

Comment

Re: Beading vs. Sheeting

I found that even if the wax causes beading, if you do the "sheeting technique" with the hose, water will sheet off better than if there was no wax at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');