• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beading vs. Sheeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beading vs. Sheeting

Hey guys,
    I'm new to this site. I detailed cars for about 3 years and I still love to use meguiars products on my own vehicles.

I had a quesion that I wanted to hear some opinions on. A guy once told me that Zymol was the best wax because it makes water sheet off the car instead of beading up. I tried it, but it seemed to work like any other wax. Beading makes sense to me, beacause if the surface is smooth as glass (for example after using a clay bar and waxing) the water should bead up on the surface. However, the beading tends to leave mineral deposits (water marks) or dust rings, and takes a long time to dry on its own. My question would then be, wouldn't it be better if there was a way for the wax to make the water sheet off? That way the car would dry quicker (like the car wash soaps that claim to do just that) and the water spots would be on there. What do you all think??

Thanks,
    Slats
    -------------
    John 17:3
    -------------

~One mans opinion / observation~

A polymer layer comprises long molecules that that form a hard, dense flat mesh that lies on the top of the much smaller paint molecule. Polymers are hydrophobic [lacking an affinity for water] the surface is smooth which in part causes ‘water sheeting’.

Carnauba Wax is inherently hydroscopic [readily taking up and retaining moisture] when exposed to water, wax swells and closes its pores, ‘beading’ simply means that a high surface tension is present.

What most people attribute to a film surface protection being functional is the visual indicator of water beading on the paint film surface. However, all water beading proves is that high surface tension is present, just because a product creates high surface tension, (water beading / sheeting) does not guarantee the coating is actually providing real and meaningful protection

~ Hope this helps ~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*
    ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

I would agree with what TOGWT wrote.

Water beading is only a sign of high surface tension, it does not automatically mean the surface is protected.

Water beading can be a visual indicator of a coating's presence. By that I mean, if your car's finish does not bead water before, cleaning, polishing and protecting, but does bead water after applying a protective wax coating, then as the beading diminishes over time and exposure to repeated washing or inclement weather, the lack of beading can be a visual indicator that the wax is wearing off.

Some Meguiar's waxes, like Gold Class wax, are not formulated to bead water well. Many people read into this that it is a product that doesn't protect well. The chemists that created this formula understand that water beading and then drying on painted surfaces can lead to problems, so they designed Gold Class Wax to not bead water.

While it's easy to explain the benefits of a wax that sheets water instead of beads water, it would appear that most people prefer a wax that beads water, if for no other reason, than it looks cool.

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I agree most people like a wax to bead the water, but I think if they were to try one that sheets they might just like it better. Every wax that I have used made the water bead until I bought some NXT and it will sheet the water and I like sheeting MUCH better than beading. As Slats pointed out its easier to dry and less water spots especially on a dark color car.

Just my .02 cents!
        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Thanks guys!

So GC wax and the new wax will make water sheet?? That's immpresive. I usually tend to think of "high surface tension" as being better protected because it seems like the surface is better "sealed". Will GC and the new wax make the surface just as smooth to touch as other waxes and still make the water sheet off? I really like having an extremely slick surface.

Thanks,

Slats
          -------------
          John 17:3
          -------------

Comment

Originally posted by Slats
            I usually tend to think of "high surface tension" as being better protected because it seems like the surface is better "sealed".
            From what I can tell, most of the population believes if a product produces water beading, then the product also protects.

Will GC and the new wax make the surface just as smooth to touch as other waxes and still make the water sheet off? I really like having an extremely slick surface.

Thanks,

Slats
            From my experience, Yes.

Mike
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Pu #16 on a car if you want to see some fine beading.
              "Washing for the People"

Comment

NXT will sheet the water??
                GC will bead the water???

This that right peeps???

Dave
                Focus ST170
                Imperial Blue
                Climate Pack & Spoiler (3dr)
                Xenons and more...

www.allfords.net *Forum for all Fords

Comment

NXT sheets? I've never had that happen to me.
                  1995 Camry LE- Forest Green Pearl/Ivory Cloth
                  2004 Sienna XLE Limited- Blue Mirage Metallic/Stone Leather

Comment

When I run my hose without the nozzle the water tends to sheet better than other waxes that I have used but if it rains it tends to bead. Just what I have experienced.
                    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by gb387
                      When I run my hose without the nozzle the water tends to sheet better than other waxes that I have used but if it rains it tends to bead. Just what I have experienced.

That's been my experience, too.
                      "Son, crying in your milk is bad enough; crying in your hot fudge sundae is just disgusting."
                      R.A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by gb387

That sound good!!!!
                        I have only done 2 coats of NXT. (12hrs between)
                        Normally i do 2 coats & 1 coat of DC3.

I will see how it goes!!!!

.Dave
                        Focus ST170
                        Imperial Blue
                        Xenons and more...

Comment

Has anyone had experience with the NXT paste wax yet?
                          "Washing for the People"

Comment

That's been my experience too.

MPPP is another wax that tends to sheet rather than bead. And it also has outstanding durability.

RamAirV1
                            2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                            2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

So if i applied to coats of NXT (12hr between) then a coat of
                              #16 would that bead or sheet??

Do you apply 1 or 2 coats of #16 wax after NXT???

Thanks
                              Dave
                              Focus ST170
                              Imperial Blue
                              Xenons and more...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');