Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beading vs. Sheeting

Question Beading vs. Sheeting

Hey guys,
    I'm new to this site. I detailed cars for about 3 years and I still love to use meguiars products on my own vehicles.

I had a quesion that I wanted to hear some opinions on. A guy once told me that Zymol was the best wax because it makes water sheet off the car instead of beading up. I tried it, but it seemed to work like any other wax. Beading makes sense to me, beacause if the surface is smooth as glass (for example after using a clay bar and waxing) the water should bead up on the surface. However, the beading tends to leave mineral deposits (water marks) or dust rings, and takes a long time to dry on its own. My question would then be, wouldn't it be better if there was a way for the wax to make the water sheet off? That way the car would dry quicker (like the car wash soaps that claim to do just that) and the water spots would be on there. What do you all think??

Thanks,
    Slats

~One mans opinion / observation~

A polymer layer comprises long molecules that that form a hard, dense flat mesh that lies on the top of the much smaller paint molecule. Polymers are hydrophobic [lacking an affinity for water] the surface is smooth which in part causes ‘water sheeting’.

Carnauba Wax is inherently hydroscopic [readily taking up and retaining moisture] when exposed to water, wax swells and closes its pores, ‘beading’ simply means that a high surface tension is present.

What most people attribute to a film surface protection being functional is the visual indicator of water beading on the paint film surface. However, all water beading proves is that high surface tension is present, just because a product creates high surface tension, (water beading / sheeting) does not guarantee the coating is actually providing real and meaningful protection

~ Hope this helps ~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar
    I would agree with what TOGWT wrote.

Water beading is only a sign of high surface tension, it does not automatically mean the surface is protected.

Water beading can be a visual indicator of a coating's presence. By that I mean, if your car's finish does not bead water before, cleaning, polishing and protecting, but does bead water after applying a protective wax coating, then as the beading diminishes over time and exposure to repeated washing or inclement weather, the lack of beading can be a visual indicator that the wax is wearing off.

Some Meguiar's waxes, like Gold Class wax, are not formulated to bead water well. Many people read into this that it is a product that doesn't protect well. The chemists that created this formula understand that water beading and then drying on painted surfaces can lead to problems, so they designed Gold Class Wax to not bead water.

While it's easy to explain the benefits of a wax that sheets water instead of beads water, it would appear that most people prefer a wax that beads water, if for no other reason, than it looks cool.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

I agree most people like a wax to bead the water, but I think if they were to try one that sheets they might just like it better. Every wax that I have used made the water bead until I bought some NXT and it will sheet the water and I like sheeting MUCH better than beading. As Slats pointed out its easier to dry and less water spots especially on a dark color car.

Just my .02 cents!
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Thanks guys!

So GC wax and the new wax will make water sheet?? That's immpresive. I usually tend to think of "high surface tension" as being better protected because it seems like the surface is better "sealed". Will GC and the new wax make the surface just as smooth to touch as other waxes and still make the water sheet off? I really like having an extremely slick surface.

Thanks,

Slats

Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Originally posted by Slats
    I usually tend to think of "high surface tension" as being better protected because it seems like the surface is better "sealed".
    From what I can tell, most of the population believes if a product produces water beading, then the product also protects.

Will GC and the new wax make the surface just as smooth to touch as other waxes and still make the water sheet off? I really like having an extremely slick surface.

Thanks,

Slats
    From my experience, Yes.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

Pu #16 on a car if you want to see some fine beading.
    "Washing for the People"

Registered Member
    NXT will sheet the water??
    GC will bead the water???

This that right peeps???

Dave
    Focus ST170
    Imperial Blue
    Climate Pack & Spoiler (3dr)
    Xenons and more...

www.allfords.net *Forum for all Fords

NXT sheets? I've never had that happen to me.

When I run my hose without the nozzle the water tends to sheet better than other waxes that I have used but if it rains it tends to bead. Just what I have experienced.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information