• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing windscreen and plastic headlight covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing windscreen and plastic headlight covers

Once-upon-a-time I remember Mike posting something about using #4 to polish up a windshield. I am wondering if the product could also be used to polish out scratches in plastic headlight covers. (It seems I got a little aggressive when the PlastX wasn't working fast enough to suit me..)

A totally different question: The car I am working on has aluminum wheels that are oxidized. What do I use chemically? Should I get one of the "ball" buffers from another vendor?
    Black Cherry 05 Scion tC
    Orient Blue 02 BMW 325i

Cadillac Coral still the best I ever used

I would think not. The reason he said you can use #4 on glass is because glass is so hard that #4 wont scratch it. Plastic is really soft, I would expect a lot of marring by doing this. I think you can use plastX with a DA to help speed up the process. you may also want to try some of these products on the plastic. they are suppose to be a little stronger.
    You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

How passionate did you get when applying the PlastX? any mark that PlastX put in should be able to be removed with PlastX.

For your wheels, Nxt Metal Polysh is great stuff. I dont think you would need on of those Power Ball things to apply it, but that is up to you.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

as for your wheels I would use the NXT metal Polysh. It will shine them up and leave a protectant behind. Plus make sure your wheels are not clear coted like mine. If they are treat them like you would treat you paint. I clay bar, scratchX and wax my wheels. And they look great and clean up easy.
        You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

MaximusZTS,

I was under the impression that PlastX was the most aggressive product because it contains diminishing abrasives (cleaner/polish). #17 would be next because it is a chemical cleaner. #10 is a pure polish (I'm not sure if it leaves protection behind like PlastX does, says something about a static-free coating though). I'm not really sure about #18; it seems to be more of a quick detailer product for plastic.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still trying to sort out the mystery of the plastic products

- Ben

Comment

Well Iwas told by one of the iterns at Meguiar's that #17 had more claning power. Though when using them I felt that PlastX cleaned better. Maybe the intern misspoke.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');