• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

How to use ScratchX by hand to remove swirls, scratches and water spot etchings

How to use ScratchX by hand to remove defects like these,
    1. Scratches
    2. Swirls
    3. Bird Dropping Etchings
    4. Water spots
    5. Scuff and Mars

++ = Success!

A couple of important notes to consider,

1) Clear coats are harder than traditional paints. This means they are more difficult to remove defects out of, especially by hand. This is part explains the increase in popularity of the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher.

2) ScratchX is not a wipe-on, wipe-off product, (WOWO), it's more of a wipe-on, work-in product, (WOWI). You need to apply with a clean foam applicator pad and when you're applying it you need to put a little passion behind your pad.

Here is how to remove a bird dropping etching or an isolated scratch.
    1. Only work a small area at a time - about 6 inch by 6 inch area or smaller
    2. You can apply using a combination of circular motions and straight-line motions
    3. Work the product against the finish until it looks as you have almost run out of product.
    4. Re-apply the product and repeat the above steps 2-3 more times
    When I apply ScratchX like I have listed above, I am able to get out about 95% of a bird dropping etching or isolated random scratches.

The trick is to work the product in until it just begins to disappear and to apply more than one application. You see, the ScratchX, like all Meguiar's Paint Cleaners, contain a diminishing abrasive, as you work ScratchX in, the microscopic diminishing abrasives gently abrade the surface removing small particles of paint. But as you work it in, these diminishing abrasives breakdown. Thus, they quit abrading the finish and actually polish the finish to a clear, high gloss. This diminishing action turned polishing action is a benefit to you because it enable you to work out defects without leaving scratches behind.

Because the diminishing abrasive breakdown, you need to re-apply and repeat the process until the defects are removed.

Note: You can rarely remove a bird dropping etching, or a scratch, from a clear-coated finish with one application.

"A little technique goes a long way"

ScratchX works, if you work it. It takes a little practice to get the hang of removing defects out of modern clear coats with hi-tech products like ScratchX. It' not like the old days with a traditional lacquer or enamel paint job where you could apply some old-fashioned rubbing compound and in a few passes, the scratch would be gone, (and so would a lot of your paint).

High gloss clear coats are thin delicate surface coatings that are easily dulled and easily scratched. Once they are dulled down and/or scratched, it takes the right product, the right technique together with the human element of care and passion to massage them back to a glistening gemstone.

Have patience, and if at first you don't succeed, try try again.
    Last edited by Mike Phillips; Oct 17, 2007, 03:30 PM.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

How to remove the etching left by a bird dropping with ScratchX

At the recent San Diego Viper Detailing Clinic here at Meguiar's in Irvine, one of the club members showed me where a bird left him a little present on the hood of his black Viper. Below is a picture of the car after the Meguiar's polishing system...

Before ScratchX

After ScratchX

Note: The above after picture was taken after three applications of ScratchX that were thoroughly worked into the finish. Each application removed a little more paint and thus removed a little more of the etching. After three applications the etching was no longer visible from a couple feet away. We stopped here because we were going to machine polish the entire finish using the G-100a .

At the time the above after picture was taken, neither any polish or wax had been applied. The results will only get better with an application of a pure polish and then a couple of coats of wax.

Below is a picture of the same defect after a thorough polishing and waxing procedure was performed by the owner using the following products. (Note: The below is a list of all the products used over the entire car including the etching left by the bird dropping.

Products Used
    Quik Clay System
    G-100a
    W-8006 foam polishing pad
    W-9006 foam finishing pad
    #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish
    #80 Speed Glaze
    Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax
    Ultimate Wipe
    Ultimate Bonnet

After

The 6.3 mega pixel camera, held about one foot away was able to capture what remains of the etching. The above photos are what are referred to as RAW format photos. That is they have not been altered or modified in any way, including resizing. They have been cropped out of the original at 700 pixels wide.

The after picture shows just a small amount of pitting, but not enough to continue removing clear coat from the finish because with your eyes up close, about one foot away, you cannot see this pitting. Standing directly over the hood of the car and looking directly into the hood, you can see no sign of the original etching.

When were were all through, the defect was no longer visible unless you knew where to look, were in the right light, and put your face right down close to the finish.

Read the entire detailing makeover on this Viper by clicking here...
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Re: How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

The reason I was asking about Scratch X is because I do have a lot of light cobwebbing swirls in my car...using Scratch X by hand over the whole car can be a bit time consuming.

When using the #80, so I apply to the DAP and spread it across until it becomes clear then wipe off with a microfiber towel? Or is it like wax, wait til it dries and then wipe off?

Comment

Originally posted by calircr View Post
        The reason I was asking about Scratch X is because I do have a lot of light cobwebbing swirls in my car...using Scratch X by hand over the whole car can be a bit time consuming.

When using the #80, so I apply to the DAP and spread it across until it becomes clear then wipe off with a microfiber towel? Or is it like wax, wait til it dries and then wipe off?
        There is no need to let #80 dry, remove it damp. Here is a link that might help with #80: How to use the G-100 to remove swirls
        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
          Here is how to remove a bird dropping etching or an isolated scratch.
          1. Only work a small area at a time - about 6 inch by 6 inch area or smaller
          2. You can apply using a combination of circular motions and straight-line motions
          3. Work the product against the finish until it looks as you have almost run out of product.
          4. Re-apply the product and repeat the above steps 2-3 more times

Do you need to wipe off the "used" ScratchX between steps 3 & 4, or just keep adding more?

Comment

Originally posted by Phostenix View Post
            [/list]Do you need to wipe off the "used" ScratchX between steps 3 & 4, or just keep adding more?
            Remove any reside before adding fresh product.

IF you add fresh product to used product you dilute the fresh product, plus you might have loosened contaminants and particles of paint in the mix after a previous application.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Saw a live demonstration by Mike and I am convinced that when used properly ScratchX will do the job! I have to pick some of this up myself. Thanks!

Comment

Ok, i used it on my dads car, Very severe swirl marks, and i gotta say. I used it on a 8X8" part of the back of the car and after 3 passes by hand, 2 by buffer, and one by hand..it got out 95% out. Why does my pad turn black?(his car is black and i clayed,wash,,ect)

im confused on that. To hard of rubbing?
                Meguiars=FTW

HMD - 2nd Year & Running Strong

Comment

MIght be you're working on a single stage paint. If so, some paint transfer will happen.

Here's the link.
                  How To Test for a Clearcoat or Single Stage Paint Finish

Hope that helps.

Tim
                  Learning new things everyday

Comment

Originally posted by Hoffmann21 View Post

Why does my pad turn black?(his car is black and i clayed,wash,,ect)
                    Like Tim said, it's probably a single stage paint, at least lets hope so because if it's a clear coated car and you're pulling black pigment that's a really bad sign.

What kind of car is it?
                    What year was it built?

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                      Like Tim said, it's probably a single stage paint, at least lets hope so because if it's a clear coated car and you're pulling black pigment that's a really bad sign.

What kind of car is it?
                      What year was it built?

Its a 2XXX Lexus RX 300 Black.
                      Meguiars=FTW

Comment

it is a 200X lexus RX 300 Black
                        Meguiars=FTW

Comment

anyone answer this?
                          Meguiars=FTW

Comment

I do not know Lexus paints offhand... does the paint look to be in good shape? Or does it look like these:

Clearcoat Failure archive

Did you pull up the black in several locations? That would be a sign that it is normal.
                            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

How much black is on the pad? A little or is the pad totally black?

Could be some residual surface contamination on the cars paint that is being removed and getting on the pad.

This is a pad recently used on a black car that was in really bad condition but the clear coat was still intact. Car had been washed and clayed.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');