• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Technique Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technique Question

When you wax and remove the wax by hand, should you wax in a circular motion one way and then reverse the circular motion when removing the wax? The same for polishing, also?

Thanks!
    JB

It doesn't really matter which way you move your hand, as long as the product you are using is NON-abrasive (which means it is not putting scratches into the paint), then it raelly doesn't matter which way you move your hand.

Comment

,esp. when using a pure wax or sealant (not a cleaner wax or combo product). When using these protection only products, the only thing that matters is that you're applying a nice thin, even coat to the surface. If it is a cleaner wax, such as ColorX or A12 cleaner wax, then it is good to use a technique that ensures that you're really getting the most out of that product's cleaning ability. This is where the circular technique really becomes useful.

When removing the hazed product, I like to quarter fold a microfiber, and then slowly wipe in a straight motion. I'm not "buffing", I'm just wiping. I continue to do this, refolding my towel and using others as necessary.

Sometimes I also find it necessary to do a "final wipe". It's a good idea to utilize a detailer spray for extra lubricity when using this practice so you won't enstill new scratches.
      Last edited by matt colvin; Aug 8, 2006, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I will be using the Gold Class Liquid Wax for my application.
        JB

Comment

Re: Technique Question

Originally posted by JStang
          When you wax and remove the wax by hand, should you wax in a circular motion one way and then reverse the circular motion when removing the wax? The same for polishing, also?

Thanks!
          Just to note, there is a treasure trove of information in the Information Station under How To Articles and Hot Topics.

Here's an article from the Hot Topics forum,

Circles or Straight Lines?

Originally posted by MattN03
          I attempted a search because I'm sure this has been covered, but I couldn't find anything. When applying Speed Glaze, then DC#2, and finally NXT, how should I apply these products by hand?

I'm using Meguiar’s foam applicators and will remove with a quality MF. How does everyone rub the products on?
          • * Do you rub in straight lines?
            * Do you rub in circle motions?

In my younger (less educated) days, I would just put some wax on a pad & rub it on in a swirling motion, but now I'm wondering if that’s the best way to do it. I just want to improve my technique! Thanks everyone.
          Hi MattNO3,

Thank your for your questions. Meguiar’s official response to this question is this,

If you’re using a non-abrasive product with a high quality, clean, soft foam applicator pad, and you’re working on a clean surface, then it shouldn't’t matter which direction you move the applicator pad over the finish because nothing you’re using will be instilling any scratches or swirls into the finish.

The above being true, then some panels lend themselves better to straight line motions, while other panels lend themselves better to circular motions.

Examples:

Circular Motions
          Most people find it’s easier to apply products in circular motions to large panels like the hood of a car. The reason for this is because circular motions act to help you spread your product out over large areas for more even, and thorough coverage. Some people also feel that circular motions help you to better work products into the finish. One thing for sure, moving your applicator pad in a circular motion tends to feel natural, and appears to come natural to most people. (Hand a wax applicator to 10 people and ask them to apply some wax to the hood of a car and stand back and watch how they apply the wax).

Straight Line Motions
          Without good technique, applying products using straight-line motions is more difficult on larger panels. Straight-line motions are just as easy to use as circular motions, (and sometimes easier), on small panels and panels or sections that are longer in one direction while narrow in the other direction. Some times the panel itself will determine which direction you will apply your product.

An example would be the painted pillar on the side of the windshield on my Blazer.

Common sense tells you, (as well as the actual application of a product), that it will be easier and more efficient to use straight-line motions versus circular motions to apply a polish or wax to this thin, narrow painted section, than it will be to use circular motions.

The key thing to remember is this, if you’re applying non-abrasive products, i.e. products that do not scratch or scour the finish, and your applying them with a soft, clean applicator and using good technique, then you should not be instilling any scratches or swirls no matter what direction you’re moving your hand.

Hope this helps…

Mike Phillips
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks, Mike! I did some word searches but did not come up with the helpful link you directed me to.
            JB

Comment

Originally posted by JStang
              Thanks, Mike! I did some word searches but did not come up with the helpful link you directed me to.
              Yeah... the search engine for a forum has its limitations, sometimes the only way to find something is to use specific, key words.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');