• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

APC safe for leather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APC safe for leather?

So, I recently posted a "review" of Meguiar's APC on the wash & wax forum of my car owner's club website. I stated that I love APC and that it's a great product for uses on multiple surface types including leather. Checking the label on the APC bottle it definitely names leather cleaning as a use.

So, we have this guy on our board who works in the leather industry and he always pushes his company's cleaning products. I don't have a problem with that because when there's nothing wrong with a competitors product he just says that he "doesn't like the results he gets with it." However, when he feels a product will actually damage your leather he says something and what he has to say always seems to make sense. Here's what he had to say about using APC on leather . . .

This product is ok for all surfaces except for leather, I actually had it out with a Meguiar's rep. over this whole thing...he swore it could be used on leather and I said no, the pH is very high, you run the risk of damaging the finish as well as hurting the leather fibers themselves and causing them to tear apart from one another, making the leather very brittle.
    So, I'm just curious if someone from Meguiar's could chime in with their thoughts on these comments.

Let me forward the link to this to Mike Pennington and Jason Rose and let them comment.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike. I think APC is an excellent product and I like to use it on several interior and exterior parts of my car. After hearing these comments I'm just a little concerned about using it on leather.

Comment

I've used it on leather many times in the past with no issues.

Maybe is it worth mentioning that I am using APC+ , but i don't think that would make much difference.

Comment

Re: APC safe for leather?

Originally posted by Mikeyc
          So, I recently posted a "review" of Meguiar's APC on the wash & wax forum of my car owner's club website. I stated that I love APC and that it's a great product for uses on multiple surface types including leather. Checking the label on the APC bottle it definitely names leather cleaning as a use.

So, we have this guy on our board who works in the leather industry and he always pushes his company's cleaning products. I don't have a problem with that because when there's nothing wrong with a competitors product he just says that he "doesn't like the results he gets with it." However, when he feels a product will actually damage your leather he says something and what he has to say always seems to make sense. Here's what he had to say about using APC on leather . . .

So, I'm just curious if someone from Meguiar's could chime in with their thoughts on these comments.
          I've used APC on my leather once and I'm not going to do it again because it's an alkaline cleaner. And I don't think it's a safe product for all types of leather. I use the GC aloe cleaner instead and it works well and I know it's safe. I tried to get some answers about APC and leather in this thread: APC alkaline free? we were discussing the ph level also.

Comment

My opinon is this If you have to use APC on the leather its not in good shape to begin with.Ive used APC on exotics and daily drivers.Ive never had a problem.Watch the dilution ratio of this product.Never go below 4:1 and it will work without damage.
            2007 Mustang GT/CS white 5sp. named Cali
            Show Car Detail

Comment

apc on leather

i have used this product since it has been out and have had no problems.

i use it on my own car and would not hesitate to keep using it untill meguiars tells me it doesn't work.
              we have an extremely upscale shop and we have never had a problem with a client.
              i also refer to a shop that does high end interiors and this is what he uses
              m3 mike

Comment

Originally posted by Dragpakmach
                My opinon is this If you have to use APC on the leather its not in good shape to begin with.Ive used APC on exotics and daily drivers.Ive never had a problem.Watch the dilution ratio of this product.Never go below 4:1 and it will work without damage.
                Mainly I use it at 10:1 on the interior. It works REALLY well restoring all types of interior materials. I detailed a Jag Vanden Plas the other day that had cream colored leather. When I started it looked beige. I just like to use APC because it's SO effective. It really just makes interior detailing so much faster. I guess in this case I'm not really starting with the least invasive method though. I'll wait to hear back from the guys at Megs to see if it's safe to use on leather at all before continuing to use it.

Comment

It has been my experience this product in question would be safer sprayed on a cloth and then used to clean the leather. Rather than spraying the product directly on the leather. I would also be interested in an official response from Meguiar's on this product. I would hate to damage someone's fine leather on a Jaguar. Right now I am using Meguiar's Interior Quick Detailer as a precleaner for leather followed by Meguiar's consumer line leather conditioner. So, far these two product's have worked great in cleaning leather on my customer's vehicle's.

Comment

Haven't heard back from Mike Pennington or Jason Rose on this issue yet. I'm very concerned as the label says this product can be used on leather. If it is in fact not safe for leather I and undoubtedly the many, many other users of APC would like to know about it. Thanks!

Comment

*Bump*

Any new news on this? Mike Pennington or Jason Rose?

Thanks!
                      Scott

Comment

the word I got is that it is safe as long as it's diluted properly, at the ratio with the most amount of water. 10:1

Comment

Originally posted by F-150 View Post
                          the word I got is that it is safe as long as it's diluted properly, at the ratio with the most amount of water. 10:1
                          Did that word come from customer care or elsewhere?

Comment

Jason Rose, during the Arizona detailing clinic.
                            He also said of course the Aloe cleaner would be safer, but then again you wouldn't use APC on leather unless it was really bad cuz the Aloe cleaner works really well (apc is very effective but it's an alkaline cleaner). I called customer care too and they said the same, that APC would be safe on leather as long as you diluted it at the highest ratio w/ water. (10:1)

My own opinion, I'd only use APC on leather if it was coated with disgusting crud or an oily substance. Other than that I use Leather Aloe Cleaner with a terry and a small fine bristled brush (which helps with textured leather)

Comment

Thanks for the extra info!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');