• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

black car= swirls that wont go away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black car= swirls that wont go away

hey guys whats up? i have a black grand prix and i want to make it look like glass. i have tryed all kinds of things but they always come back. so what i am asking is if you pros out there can help me out by telling me what products to use and what steps to take and all that good stuff. like i said i want it to look like glass so any help would bve greatly appreciated. even if you have a write up i can work off of that would be great. thanks again.

bret

I am not a pro, but I have two black cars, and I can get them swirlfree and with a high gloss BEFORE any wax is applied. But no matter how careful I am, over time I do get some fine scratches. Not god-awful swirling, but some fins scratches--not circular, usually in the direction of washing off the dirt (at least that is my hypothesis)

Comment

Welcome! Most swirling comes from improper washing techniques....not using the TWO BUCKET METHOD Visit this link and check out Mike Philips post. Everything you need to know can be found there. Have fun reading!
      Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Hey,
        Welcome to MOL...

I have an 03 Grand Prix and over time, you will see fine scratches re-appear. Proper washing and drying goes a long way but after time I usually need to clay, repolish with #80 and the PC with a polishing pad, followed by your favorite LSP. Depending on how bad your swirling is, I would start with 80, if that's not strong enough, try 83 with the PC, if you are working it properly and it still is not effective after mulitple appilcations, then you will need a rotary. I have always had pretty good luck with 80 and the PC and some spot treatment with Scratch X.

here's mine:

Comment

What products / methods have you tried so far?

Working by hand/machine so far? Are you looking to invest in a PC/G-100 like Tom used?
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by SVT Lightning
            Welcome! Most swirling comes from improper washing techniques....not using the TWO BUCKET METHOD Visit this link and check out Mike Philips post. Everything you need to know can be found there. Have fun reading!
            http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...mation+station
            Thanks, SVT. I do use two buckets with grit guards, two wash mitts, one for the top down, one for the lower sections. I flip the mitt after about a square yard area, then rinse and re-load the suds, repeat. I wash it or leave it--no California dusters, etc. I never "just" QD.

Comment

Re: black car= swirls that wont go away

Originally posted by xtrm gtp
              hey guys whats up? i have a black grand prix and i want to make it look like glass. i have tryed all kinds of things but they always come back. so what i am asking is if you pros out there can help me out by telling me what products to use and what steps to take and all that good stuff. like i said i want it to look like glass so any help would bve greatly appreciated. even if you have a write up i can work off of that would be great. thanks again.

bret
              Black is the worst and Black is the best...I'm totally anal about my finish and no matter how careful I am, I still get scratches in the finish...I use two buckets (three actually, one for the wheels), grit guards, two mitts, Water Magnets etc etc etc and I have got to say that black shows the smallest of scratches....it's the worst for that....BUT, once I hit it with the PC, an 8006 pad, some #80 and then some #21, KABAM!!!....the finish POPS...someone asked me today if my car was new...love that !!....it's a year and a half old and has been through one Buffalo winter...these products are the best, the help on this forum is invaluable...use both and you'll be happy....
              Bill Poirier
              West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Black car owner here too.

Here's three great investments I have made in the dept. of car maintenance:

Real, genuine lambs wool mitt. You'll know its real because there is leather on the inside. Lambswool does not mat up like my old synthetic mitt did, and is very very soft. When soap and water are on it, it feels slimy. This is very good for lubricity, thus reducing the chances of inflicting micromarring.

The absorber drying cloth. I just got one of these, and can already tell how its going to keep myself from scratching the car when drying. With the absorber, I do not have to drag anything across the finish of the car. Instead, I just lay it on the wet area and let it soak up the water. No drag = less chance of scratching. Now, this is not to say that the Meguiar's Super Suede and Water Magnet drying cloths are not excellent products. But I have fallen in love with the absorber.

The Meguiar's G-100 polisher. w8006 and w9006 pads. #83 and #80 polishes. Learn how to use them right here on the forums. They are the most important tools in my arsenal when I detail my car. I can use it to remove swirls and minor scratches with the w8006 pad, and apply wax with the w9006 pads. I can also remove wax using a Meguiar's microfiber bonnet on a w8006 or w7006 pad.
                Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
                Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

If I've learned anything on this forum, and I've learned a TON, it's a quote from Mike Phillips that sticks in my head every time I detail:
                  FOCUS ON THE TASK AT HAND
                  This takes patience, time and practice...but, once you understand what you need to do, then, you'll get results...I used #80, then #21...today...after claying....here's a couple shots late in the day:

The reflection shot:
                  Bill Poirier
                  West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');