• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brand new black car, what do i use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new black car, what do i use?

Hi,
    I recently purchased a 2006 Nighthawk Black Pearl civic, and was wondering what to do to protect the paint?
    At first i was just going to wash n wax, but i have been told by a few people that since i have a new car i should use a sealant.
    Ive heard good things about M21, or is there another?
    Is there some general guidelines as to what to do with a brand new cars finish?
    Thanks
    -D

Well, on the bright side, new car old used car, light color or dark color, clear coat or single stage, all the same Meguiars products can be used. Nothing to worry about there.

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

Which LSP is Best for Light Colors

Now, it sounds like you might be interested in keeping things short and simple, so here is a good routine I often do on my car since it was new:

1. Wash - Gold Class or Nxt washes are great choices, be sure to use good sponges/towels, and the two bucket system.

2. Clay - Smooth Surface Clay kit. I know your car is new, but trust me, there is already stuff there to remove. Plus, it is easy and fun, good 2-3 times a year.

3. ColorX - This is a great cleaner/wax, perfect for keeping things simple on a new car with no big defects, swirls, etc.

4. Wax - Meguiars recomends 2 coats of wax, so topping ColorX is a good idea. I love #21, and it seems like you picked it out as well.

Any of Meguiars waxes will work fine, if you really want synthetic, Nxt is also a good choice, but #21 is still my favorite.

Hope that helps, or ask away some more....

PS. You never mentioned wheels, wheelwells, interior, glass, trim... oh the products you will amass before you know it...
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Murr1525,
      Thanks for the quick response, thats exactly what i was looking for.
      Yeah the dealer "detailed" it for me & there are already some very fine scratches on the roof. But you have to have your nose touching the car to see em. (Bothers me though!)
      Ive been using Meguiars gold wash for a few years & used all the NXT products on my red 01 integra, i love the stuff, esp the cockpit shine.
      That being said, ive never tried to keep my new car well looking new, i always end up with swirls fading chips etc. With my brand new Civic Si, i want to give it a shot. That and Honda's questionable paint life makes me want to get a head start.
      The fun part will be the Clay bar, never even tried that before!
      Would using a polishing machine make that big of a difference to a newbie like me?
      Last edited by Grynchmeister; Aug 3, 2006, 09:07 PM.

Comment

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Recommended Products - G100a Dual Action Polisher

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

You can ScratchX the roof before using the ColorX on the whole car.

On your Integra, do you use any sort of cleaner or polish? Nxt doesnt make those, and claying/cleaning/polishing will help that as well, or just ColorX that as well.

For anyone, a polisher can be a good choice, as it will speed things up, and leave your last coat of wax looking 'wetter'. But, I would say you wont see as big a jump someone with neglected paint.

My car is a year old, and I have been doing the ColorX, etc as I said. With it being a daily driver, a few deeper swirls are showing up, and I am starting to think about and save up for the G-100. You certainly dont need one tomorrow.

And do not just run to Pep Boys and buy some old polisher. G-100 or bust , even if you have to save up for a few months.

Browse autodetailingsolutions.com for G-100 packages, and other Meguiars products.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');