• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compare 7,9,80,82,83..if you have time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare 7,9,80,82,83..if you have time

When I am looking at all of the different products megs has to offer I see these three and they are described as fairly similar. Perhaps some of you have a more intimate knowledge of these products and can point me in the right direction.

The car they will be used on is a freshly painted black mustang and I will be using a PC with LC pads, orange, white, and grey. The car has holograms and swirls. Thanks guys.

Well first, some of these are pure polishes and some of these are cleaner/polishes, you can find out what the differences are between pure polishes and cleaner/polishes by reading this,

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Historically, people that use cutting pads with the PC from advice given on other discussion forums or from companies that sell cutting pads and promote their use with the PC come to MOL to learn how to remove the scouring caused by this type of pad when used with a PC.

If you want to remove swirls and scratches from fresh black paint, (how did that happen anyway?), then read through this, it will give you the recipe to fix the problem without using a cutting pad.

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

If the swirls in your car's finish are deep enough to require a cutting pad then you probably need to have your car re-buffed by a professional proficient with the use of a rotary buffer.

Both of the above are from our "List 'O Links",

List 'O Links

Many of the things we cover in our Saturday Classes are discussed and talked about in the threads found in the sub-forums of the Information Station

First read this,

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Then read these...

How To Remove Swirls By Hand
    How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX
    Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line
    Circles or Straight Lines?
    Which LSP is Best for Light Colors
    How to locate Meguiar’s Professional & Detailer products in your hometown
    How to tell when a Meguiar's wax is ready to remove - The Swipe Test
    The Dual Action Counterweight "Controversy"
    What are the Differences Between Meguiar's Waxes
    What's the Deal with "Layering"?
    Measuring Clear Coat Thickness
    Rotary vs. PC vs. Regular Orbital Buffer
    Glass Polishing...Deep Cleaning
    NXT Tech Wax Cure Time
    Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car
    Colored Waxes - Do they really work?
    PC + #83 not "Cutting" it! - The Limits of the Dual Action Polisher
    What it Means to Remove a Scratch
    Why Meguiar’s Recommends Polishing Paint
    A Lesson From White Paint
    Each one, teach one... Ferrari Fiorano 355 F1 Spider
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I guess I better get to reading, lol. I would assume that new paint wouldnt need a cleaner, and just a pure polish. The swirls are not that deep or severe but the buff job left holograms, and there are a couple places I can see little swirls made from crappy towels (not mine).

Comment

Originally posted by SMRcalidiv
        I guess I better get to reading, lol. I would assume that new paint wouldnt need a cleaner, and just a pure polish. The swirls are not that deep or severe but the buff job left holograms, and there are a couple places I can see little swirls made from crappy towels (not mine).
        You're right, new paint shouldn't need a paint cleaner, but defects like swirls and scratches below the surface require some cleaning and polishing to remove.

We're here to see you through to success.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

It sounds like for now all I need is 80, being that I cant wax it and dont need to clay. I guess its not enough for me to know what to use, but why not to use something else. Reading some descriptions of products like 9 & 82, they say basically the same thing. would it be correct to say that 80 is better than 7 at removing scratches/swirls, all though 7 is a good glaze? And 83 is just a more aggressive version of 80? Where would 9 and 82 fit into this?

Comment

Originally posted by SMRcalidiv
            would it be correct to say that 80 is better than 7 at removing scratches/swirls, all though 7 is a good glaze?
            Yes, that would be correct to say. Mike has a post somewhere that shows how #80 actually removes swirls and fine scratches. He used a 50/50 alchohol/water solution to remove all the #80 and the swirls were still gone. So it removed them, not just filled them in. #7 is a pure polish. Like the name implies, Show Car Glaze just makes the car look damn good! It doesn't remove swirls like #80 or #83, etc.
            Last edited by jmakado; Jul 29, 2006, 10:59 PM.
            Jason

Comment

Okay, let me try to help if I can

#83 is the most aggrasive polish that can be used by PC. Meguiars defines abbrasive compounds as cleaners, and the oils that increase shine as polishes (which is different from other companies). The reason it is called Dual Action Cleaner/Polish, is because it is effective at both removing defects (cleaner) and leaves behind a high gloss shine (polish).

#80 is less agressive then #83 and is most likely the most versital product in the Meguiars polish/cleaner line up. The abbrasives are large enough to remove minor defects, while the polishes bring out a very bright and glossy surface. #80 could also be called a Dual Action Cleaner/Polish, because its action is similar to #83, but on a less agressive scale.

Both leave behind ready to wax surfaces, that is you are cleaning and polishing the paint in one step. However, #83, being that it is more aggresive, can leave behind small trace scratches known as micromarring. It may be wise to follow #83 with #80 to remove these. On harder paint, I have gone straight to was after using #83, though I usually finish with #80 because it leaves a glossier appearnce, IMO.

From my experince with Lake Country pads, is that your going to want to have to orange pads, and one white pad. Your also going to likely need both #83 and #80 to remove holograms. Of course this depends on the hardness of your paint.

#82 and #9 are similar (I have posted a respond in your thread specifically asking the differences), and you will only need to use these if #80 is too aggresive and leaves behind micromarring. This happens on soft paint. Techincally they are both cleaner/polishes as well, though the cleaning portion is very small, so they are close to a pure polish.

#7 is a pure polish (non abbrasive) that is basically an oil based product that produces a deep, wet, and reflective shine. #80 and #7 feature the same types of oils, so it only makes sense that they both leave behind wet shines.
              Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Excellent summary TH0001!
                -Bob
                NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

wow, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

Glad I could help
                    Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');