• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mercedes Benz C36 AMG - Silver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercedes Benz C36 AMG - Silver

This was a hard car to do! Another detail from the "Dundee Tag Team", Bryan (blr123) and myself!

First of all, a couple of pics courtesy of Bryan (blr123) of when the car arrived - at night, and we could see why it arrived at night when the cold light of day hit the car!!

This car was going to be challenge and a half, and being silver hard to generate jaw dropping results. But we tried our best! There were a few corrosion spots on the car that we would not be able to deal with, and also an area of failed clear on the bonnet which was masked off to be avoided. The front of the bonnet also looked as if it had been resprayed, with bad orange peel effect robbing the paintwork of gloss.

Anyways, enough whining about the car - down to the business of sorting it out, and bringing here back to life! :thumb:

Before I arrived on Friday morning, Bryan had washed the wheels with everything, he tells me, to try and get them to come up well - up to and including Wheel Brightener and his efforts had earned a nice finish to the wheels, ready for some Rim Wax at the end of the detail. Bry had also TFR'd the car with AG Power Max 3 by Karcher (fantastic TFR!)... The car was then rinsed, and then Bry washed it using a two bucket method and Meguiars #00 Hi Tech Wash and a sheepskin mitt from Carwashnwax (lovely soft mitt, its my one and lasting very well too!). I rinsed the car down with the Karcher and Bryan followed with Megs Last Touch and a Megs Water Magnet to dry the car. There was clearly no protection on the paint, the water just sat there... The Last Touch chased the water away nicely though.

Once dried, it was ready for claying... Despite the paintwork feeling like harling, we decided to try the Sonus green clay and to our surprise it was remvoing the defects very well and leaving a smooth finish - no need for anythig more aggressive... still, the clay was getting in a bit of a state though...

As I finished off claying the glass, Bryan masked the car up with 3M tape ready for polishing...

Then, opnce we had figured out how the immobiliser sytem worked (this car was another one that took us five minutes to work out how to start!! ) we rolled the car into the garage for polishing... Apparently, the doors need to be opened from the outside then you have three seconds to get the key in the ignition before the alarm goes off so you can start the car.. what a palava!! :lol: :lol: More alarm system problems later!

PTG reading were taken, and were worrying - some areas shows fairly standard thickness of ~150um. Others were as low as 80um. Some as high as 700um... So care was to be taken all ovet this car, and the PTG proved itself a real life saver!

Under the Brinkmann, the severity of the swilrs on the paint were clear to see... The boot was taken as a test panel, and masked up to test the routine. The swilrs on the boot were representative of the swirls across the paint. The swirls before...

While Menzerna Intensive Polish (PO85RD3.01) made a big dent in the swirls, there were many deeper marks as well that beneifted from a more aggressive treatment of Menzerna Power Gloss on a Meguiars W7006 cutting pad. This was then followed by Menzerna Intensive Polish on a Meguiars W8006 polishing pad, all applied using the Makita 9227 rotary... A half and half shot of the result...

and a full shot...

This was then followed with Menzerna Final Finish on a Meguiars W8006 Polishing Pad by PC to brighten the finish.

A before shot of the swilrs in sunlight...

and shots of the finish achieved after all three stages, swirls removed and gloss restored...

While I worked on the paintwork with the rotary and PC to remove defects, Bryan worked on the interior with Gliptone Leather Cleaner followed by Gliptone Leather Conditioner on the seat, and Autosmart Silicon spray on the plastics. Owing to problems with the extractor, the interior was just treated to Meguiars APC and then hoovered thoroughly by Bryan and it came up looking well... but due to probs we had with the alarm system today, we couldn't get in to take any pics!!!!

Meanwhile, with the polishing... a couple of reflection shots to show the gloss being restored to the silver...

Also, while Bryan masked up, I also wiped down the engine bay and treated it to some Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care to enhance the shine a little on the impressive looking engine...

At this point, we called it a day and returned the next day to finish...

Next day, and Bryan treated the exhaust tip to some Mothers Metal Polish applied with a sponge applicator... The exhaust tip before:

and the exhaust tip after:

Bryan then sealed the car first with Meguiars #21 applied by PC using a Meguiars W9006 Finishing Pad, and buffed off with a Megs Ultimate Wipe. Normally, a sealent would be followed by a wax but I decided to try out following it with another sealent - 1Z Glanz Wax, as I wanted to try and bring the flake out in the silver and I like the finish Glanz gives to silver. So I followed up the #21 with the Glanz wax, applied with a sponge applicator and buffed off with an Ultimate Wipe. Paintwork complete!

Bryan then removed the masking tape and went on to polish the outside glass with Autosmart Glass Polish while I treated the exterior trim to Meguiars #38. A door handle before:

and after:

I was finding it difficult to capture the metallic flake in the paint, but here's a couple of shots from the bootlid: excuse the fading C36 badge...

And now some shots of the paintwork after completion:

Now, Bryan wanted to finish off by doing the interior glass and then rolling the car out into the sunlight for some completed pics... then the trouble started!! Opened the door with the key fob, and then the alarm went off. Tried pressing the only button on the key fob, nothing - alarm still blaring and neighbour's dog now barking! Tried key in ignition - nope! Shut door, and locked it and alarm was still souding then it stopped... Tried opening car again, but alarm went off as soon as a door was opened!!! So to cut an even longer story of much cursing and swearing short, we couldn't get into the car (atleast not without pissing off half of Dundee!) nor could we move it into the sunlight. So I'm afraid I only got a couple of completed shots on the outside for now, and none of all Bryan's hard work in the interior...

More pics of the interior and further exterior shots in better light when the owner comes to collect (and sorts his alarm!! :lol: ).
    "A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; .... "

car looks amazing.

Comment

Man, I need to learn how to use a rotary.............

Comment

Great write-up and great results!
        Jason

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');