• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polished aluminum ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polished aluminum ?

So far I haven't been all that pleased with metal polishes on polished aluminum -- nonclear coated polished wheels on my Hemi and nonclear coated polished aluminum Harley engine cases and wheels. Neither Meguiar's nor Mother's products give me the results I really want.

What would DACP or a mild compound do on polished aluminum? Any other suggestions?

Tom

I've used both products with good results. I typically use a cotton buffing wheel attachment to my drill, smear on the polish and let the buffing wheel do the work.

You also might want to try Wenol blue or red. The red is more abrasive than the blue and is a good starting point. As a finish, you might look at a good sealer like RejeX. It seems to act as a barrier and hold the shine a little longer. You can also use NXT.

I'm going to try Zoop Seal this winter on the wheels. It's supposed to chemically treat polished aluminum and maintain the shine for up to 2 years.
    Attached Files
    Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

Hi Tom

Which aluminum polish are you using?

Gold Class All Metal Restorer

or

All Metal Polish

Or both?

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike

I was using the All Metal Polish. Is the Gold Gass All Metal Restorer better? I' m looking for a polish with quite a bit of cutting power that doesn't leave fine scratches. Pretty picky, right.

Tom

Comment

I find that Gold Class Restorer is not as strong of a polisher. It works great for maintaining a good shine and cleaning up mild oxidation. I find that SemiChrome or either Wenol Red is the strongest for polishing up things. Another good product is Magic Mix aluminum polish one step which you can find at topoftheline.com. I usually see this stuff at swap meets and its sold with a pink liquid that is some type of acidic pre cleaner.( I don't see the pre cleaner at topoftheline.com) This pre cleaner really removes the nasty oxidation, but it won't be shinny. Then the Magic Mix polishes it up real nice. I have a couple of trucker friends that swear that is the best stuff on their Alcoa wheels. I have used it and it work great too.
          Eddie

Comment

Originally posted by tguil
            Mike

I was using the All Metal Polish. Is the Gold Glass All Metal Restorer better? I' m looking for a polish with quite a bit of cutting power that doesn't leave fine scratches. Pretty picky, right.

Tom
            Hi Tom,

NXT Generation All Metal Polysh is a stronger metal polish that is completely non-abrasive. This is why you can also use it on clear coated rims as it won't scratch the clear coat, thus the name, All Metal Polysh.

You do have to be very sensitive to the type of applicator you apply with and your choice of removal cloth. A good choice for applying this product safely would be our foam applicator pads, then remove with a plush, soft microfiber polishing cloth.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I use a two step approach, I like to use S100 polishing soap to remove the the grime and oxidation, then either Flitz or all metal polish to bring them to a high shine. I highly recommend giving S100 Polishing Soap a try.

Comment

tquil,

As Mike mentioned, the NXT Generation Metal Polysh, is the best metal polish we offer. It is in the process of replacing the Gold Class All Metal Restorer.

Keeping in mind, all of our metal polishes are designed for surfaces in pretty good shape. It is tough to offer a heavy cutting action product, that leaves a flawless finish....I think you'll be hard pressed to find a one-step combo product that achieves your expectations.

In addition, Mike mentioned the towel can be the culprit for inflicting those tiny scratches you often see in a polished surface...Make sure your apllicator, whichever kind you use, is safe and does not create those tiny marks...

but...to answer your original question, DACP is not a good choice for a metal polish, totally different characteristics when dealing with a metal surface vs. a painted surface.

Mike
                Mike Pennington
                Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
                Meguiar's, Inc.
                800-854-8073
                mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

I use the NXT Generation All Metal Polish and is works extremely well on my American Racing uncoated polished aluminum wheels. I apply it with the W0004 Applicator Pad and wipe it off with the new X2010 MF leaving absolutely no scratches. I then apply a thin coat of NXT Generation Tech Wax to seal it. Hopefully if the weather stays nice in So Cal this weekend I will post some pics.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');