• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing Newbie

Hello,
    I currently am looking to improve two vehicles!

One which is an Honda Civic DX (Hatchback) in Gray from 1991 which is in below average condition!

Two which is Ford Expedition (Eddie) in Maroon from 2001 which is in average condition!

The products I currently have are as follows!
    Wash-Mitt
    Microfiber Towels (CostCo + Other)
    Flow-Through Brush
    Buckets
    M's Hot Tire Shine (Spray)
    M's Deep Crystal Cleaner
    M's Deep Crystal Polish
    M's Deep Crystal Wax
    M's NXT Car Wash
    M's NXT Tech Wax
    M's NXT Tech Protect
    Rain-X Glass Cleaner (Pouch)
    Rain-X Glass Protect (Additive)
    BlackMagic Wax Thing (Wax/Buff/Wax Remove)
    Unknown Mutli Nozzle (Multi Settings)
    ArmorAll Glass Cleaner (Wipes)

I have alot but I am wondering if what I have is enough or should I be doing something more?

I'd like to "Clay" but I can't find it in the stores and also just so you know..

Also just so you know.. I purchased the NXT line of products at AutoZone and ALL three items were not filled to the top and the seal I was told that is supposed to be on the top was not there.. Only got a little bit left but enough I think.

Sounds like a very detail detail, hehe, good luck and let us see the result.
    If the top seal is not there when it's suppose, I would return the products and get a new one.

Comment

You might try good ol' Wal-Mart for some Mothers' clay. Of all the steps, I think clay makes the biggest difference and is the easiest to do. It also keeps those contaminents from coming loose when you polish and putting in more swirls than you take out, especially when working by hand.
      TwoTooBlack

Because one black car just wasn't enough . . .

Comment

You could try Mother's clay. I've had good luck. Other than that you're all set and ready to detail. I'd skip theDC wax and go NXT. As for the seals missing, how much product was missing. I'd not worry about the CSI investigation and try to return the products. Good luck!

Comment

I figure at least half of it was missing but I only noticed it because the ones at PepBoys had alot more than mine and they're the same size. It's quite wierd actually!

Anyway so how does my plan sound...

WASH
          Wash Entire Car (Degreaser (!Power Washer!))
          - Should remove all current containments / wax already on.
          Wash Entire Car (NXT Car Wash)

DRY
          Dry Microfiber Cloths (CostCo)
          -Should dry car without spots

APPLY
          Apply Deep Crystal Cleaner
          -Should clean paint
          Apply Deep Crystal Polish
          -Should polish paint
          Apply NXT Tech Wax
          -Should protect paint
          Apply NXT Tech Protect
          -Should protect various

GRIN

Comment

O'Rileys has the Meguiars clay. I don't know you you have those around you or not.

Comment

clay reply

i don't know where you live,but why don't you get the "real"stuff from meguiars?
              simply order online,via www.meguiars.com
              should be a piece of cake when you're in the usa,if you're not, see the meguiars international section on www.meguiars.com
              and find the closest to your country.
              i have tried a lot of different products over the years,i've been working on a gas station for 11 years,and the last 5 years i work at a car parts shop,so i had easy access to all kinds of car cleaning products,but meguiars is the brand with the best results,and don't forget!!!! when you want to know something for sure,they have several ways to reach them,and you always get an answer you can work with.
              that's service in capital writing,and i think,after sales are very important too.
              in your case,i would return the bottle to the store where you bought it,because you didn't get what you payed for.
              the seal was missing,so this means,that somebody used it.in our shop,we have sample bottles to show people how it works,but we never sell them,that just isn't the way to go.
              make sure they do something with your problem.

ciao,
              Rick

Comment

Going Good...

It's going good..
                I've got the car nice and clean with a coating of NXT Tech Wax and also for other NXT Tech Protect!

I cleaned my windows using ArmorAll Glass Wipes but it didn't work too well but Rain-X Glass Cleaner (Pouche) worked perfect!

Going to buff throughout the day and then apply another layer of the NXT line.

Before I do though would it help to wash the car at all?

If anyone can give me links to what I need to clay directly from Meguiars.. Well I'd sincerely appreciate it.

Also.. I'll post pictures later and I still have to do the expedtion.

Comment

Re: Going Good...

Originally posted by rpm

Before I do though would it help to wash the car at all?

If anyone can give me links to what I need to clay directly from Meguiars.. Well I'd sincerely appreciate it.

[/B]
                  No need to re-wash. Maybe just dust with a MF. I haven't done it myself, but the threads here suggest it works best to let the NXT set up over night before applting the second coat. You might give that a try.

Here's your link:
                  TwoTooBlack

Comment

It had a torrential downpour today out of no where.. So I started over (kind of)

Right now both cars, The expedtion and civic are in the garage perfectly clean and dried to the bone using microfobier towels.

I've purchased some RainX Glass Cleaner as well.. Heard Mike Phillips recommeneded that and also it seems he has said hi to everyone that joins but me!

Tommorow I am going to give them both clean wipe over and then apply Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner using microfiber for both applying and removing.

Once I let it sit for a while I am going to polish it using Deep Crystal Polish using once again, Microfiber for both applying and removing.

Finally I'll apply NXT Tech Wax and also NXT Tech Protect (For Other) which I will use once again...... Microfiber.

Eventually I'll use Rain X glass cleaner using microfiber.. I love microfiber.

Few questions!
                    1) On my three steps how do you recommend I apply and remove.. motion wise, etc etc and time wise.

2) Currently I have NXT Tech Protect but I want to do it over because it's streaky in some areas.. Any advice?

Thanks!

Comment

I'm not Mike, but:

I'd apply any hand products with circular overlapping motion.

With protectorants, I usually spray onto a towel (MF or terry or cloth diaper) and the apply with the towel. Seems a little more uniform. You could even try a foam applicator, though I haven't tried that myself. I also haven't used the NXT variety, so YMMV.
                      TwoTooBlack

Comment

Re: Detailing Newbie

to MOL. I've learned a lots from other members

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');