• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im confused with product/pad selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im confused with product/pad selection

Hello, i decided to order a hitachi rotary after some research but im still a little confused with product selection.
    what will leave me with a ready to wax finish, will #80 with a polishing pad work or do i need to step down to something like #82 with a finishing pad? (fwiw i also have a PC)
    VTEC: all the lag, none of the turbo

You should use the Meg's 8006 pad for 80. You should also use this pad if you need to go back over the area with the PC.

Comment

if you see your surface shiny, but feel it rough, then you should start by claying the surface. if you see oxidation, stains, swirls, and other defects like these, then you should clean it with the correct cleaner or polish.

If you have both imperfections, then you should clay the finish first and then proceed to cleaning.

since you have two pads, two buffers and two products, here's a suggestion:

for moderate defects, use the rotary with 80 @1400RPM with the yellow pad. then step down to the PC at 4.5 speed applying 80 with a finishing pad. just make sure you get them in a 6" length for the PC.

if defects with 80 are removed pretty much with the rotary, then you could use 82 with a finishing pad with the PC, but if the defects are very severe, then you should use products like 83, 84, or even 85. but it also depends on your skill, because using stronger products (mainly 84, 85 and cutting pads) requires better techniques to prevent removing too much paint, and to perform products like 83 or 82 to remove the swirls instilled by the abrasives in the compounds or the wool pad scratches to be completely removed and not having ugly buffer swirls showing when bright light hits them :P

but I think the 80 and 82 combination should get the job done in a satisfactory way and leave your surface ready to be waxed and to have a showcar shine.

hope this helps
      " Sometimes logic is your friend (Mike-In-Orange)"

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');