• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Storing Foam Buffing pads.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing Foam Buffing pads.

Hi guys. I've read so much on this but I'm still somewhat confused. How should I store my used pads after I detail? I use a different pad with each product. Should I lightly clean then and store them with the product still on them in a sealed container. I asume it's not a good idea to let them dry with the product on them. Should I completly wash the pads and let them air dry? Thanks guys.

I store mine face up in a cupboard. I let mine dry out without any problems. I just try to knock off any loose product if there is any before I use them the next time.

There is some info about it here as well.

Brian

Comment

I wash mine w/ dish soap to clean off all the wax/polish and then air dry for a day or so. I still have the original pads I purchased w/ my PC 2 years ago so I must be doing something right!
      1999 Ford Contour SVT
      Silver Frost/Midnite Blue
      1966/2760

Comment

I've taken to storing them with the product on them in a cabinet. I put them on the PC before the next use and spin em a bit and use my hand to knock of the dust and old product.

Comment

It really is personal preference. I just rinse mine out with warm water to get the majority of any product left in them then let them sit to dry then I store them in a plastic container so they won't get contaminated. Meguiars says not to wash them but there are people on here who have and have had no problems. So do whatever you feel comfortable doing and you should be fine.
          -Brian
          2007 Obsidian Black IS350

Comment

Thanks guy. It was nice to see all the replies. I wasn't sure if it would be ok to let the pads dry with product on them, then reuse it with the dryed on stuff still on it. I didn't know if it would hurt anything. I actually ruined (2) pads by washing then with dish detergent. The backing started coming off and while I used it, it came flying off my PC. Wax splattered everywhere. Kind of funny now thinking about it. Before I use my new pads, I want to ge a good procedure for cleaning/storing them. Thanks agian guys. Keep the ideas coming.

Comment

Since posting my last reply, I did a search for cleaning pads I guess i'll let them air dry, lightly brush them then store them seperatly in a sealed container or large zip lock bag. I am still wondering if dryed on dusty product will efect the new fresh product. Even after I lightly brush them off.

Comment

Originally posted by acsuppa
                Since posting my last reply, I did a search for cleaning pads I guess i'll let them air dry, lightly brush them then store them seperatly in a sealed container or large zip lock bag. I am still wondering if dryed on dusty product will efect the new fresh product. Even after I lightly brush them off.
                If you use a ZipLock beware of MPS (Moldy Pad Syndrome). Trapped moisture can cause mildew and mold to form. I think you'd be ok since your air dryin em, so just FYI.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');