• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cure time for NXT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cure time for NXT

I know this question has been asked numerous times! My question is:

Is there any disadvantage for leaving the NXT wax for "too long" before wiping it off?

i.e. usually one would allow 15-30 mins before wiping the surface, what if I leave it for overnight? would the wax get "too" dry and becomes difficult to remove?

Cheers

Use the "swipe test". Run the tip of your finger over a waxed area. If the surface comes up clean, it is time to clean up the wax. If it is still oily in appearance, you need to wait longer.
    Art Layton
    2009 Jetta TDI

Comment

Originally posted by matrixowner
      Use the "swipe test". Run the tip of your finger over a waxed area. If the surface comes up clean, it is time to clean up the wax. If it is still oily in appearance, you need to wait longer.
      I understood the "swipe test", but my point is - in order to ensure the polymer are fully cured without any disruption at all, you should wait as long as possbile. (for example, say 12 to 24 hrs)

The longer you wait, the better chance the polymer is cured and properly adhered to the paint surface. Does it make any sense?

Comment

There is a difference between the polymers on the paint curing, and the excess wax drying and curing.

There is no benefit to the excess wax drying longer.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
          There is no benefit to the excess wax drying longer.
          Does it have any adverse effect then?

Comment

Originally posted by technik
            The adverse affects could be streaking. We try to Bubba-Proof our products as much as possible and in the case of a wax one of the things we do is try to duplicate what people in the real world are going to do and that is to leave the wax on overnight and even for a day or two.

Often times people think like this,

If a little is good... more must be better"

This would apply to how much you apply as well as how long you let the product sit on the surface.

In all my testing, as long as a think coat was applied, wipe-off wasn't any more difficult 24 hours later as compared to 15 minutes of drying time.

As far as allowing more time for more polymers to more fully cure...

I've asked some of our chemists this question before and their answer is a solid "No". They create the formula to dry within a short time frame so that you can wipe the product off and get the full benefit of the product. What's left behind fully sets-up over a longer window of time usually a window of time of anywhere from 1 hour to a maximum of 24 hours.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I've left coat #2 of NXT go overnight before wiping it off without any trouble at all. Paint looked perfect and as long as the coat is thin, it should be just as easy to wipe off.
              -Brian
              2007 Obsidian Black IS350

Comment

Originally posted by technik
                The adverse affects could be streaking. We try to Bubba-Proof our products as much as possible and in the case of a wax one of the things we do is try to duplicate what people in the real world are going to do and that is to leave the wax on overnight and even for a day or two.

Often times people think like this,

If a little is good... more must be better"

This would apply to how much you apply as well as how long you let the product sit on the surface.

In all my testing, as long as a think coat was applied, wipe-off wasn't any more difficult 24 hours later as compared to 15 minutes of drying time.

As far as allowing more time for more polymers to more fully cure...

I've asked some of our chemists this question before and their answer is a solid "No". They create the formula to dry within a short time frame so that you can wipe the product off and get the full benefit of the product. What's left behind fully sets-up over a longer window of time usually a window of time of anywhere from 1 hour to a maximum of 24 hours.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

What are the primary factors in how long it take for a product to dry? I think it is temperature and humidity. I've always wondered why wax manufactures don't include a scale with temperatures on one axis and humidity levels on the other axis so a user can find approximately how long to dry.

Experience improves one's ability to use the swipe test but for someone that only waxes a couple of times a year or unfamiliar with a product, the swipe test is vague.

Comment

Air Temp, Surface Temp, Humidity, Thickness of product applied. All effect drying time.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');