• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best products for polished aluminum clearcoated 2-piece wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best products for polished aluminum clearcoated 2-piece wheels

First as a preface, let me show you the rims in question (sorry for cell phone pics):

The lip is polished aluminum that is clearcoated, the face is powdercoated and clearcoated.

I've been looking around the forums using the search feature to find all the threads I could on multipiece clearcoated aluminum wheels... hard to find info so I decided to post a new thread.

I understand since the wheels are clearcoated, I should be able to use any products on the wheels that I can use on the car's paint.

But.... which meguiar's products are the best for repelling brake dust (if any) and making car washes easier? I am currently using zaino products on the car's paint and wheels. I am very happy with the performance on the car's paint since I started using Zaino since the car was brand new.

But the wheels see more abuse, brake dust, road tar, and ultimately, they will have more imperfections and scratches, PLUS, the clearcoat is directly on top of bare aluminum - all this basically means zaino which doesn't contain cleaners (AFAIK) is not the best to use on the wheels. The lips still get very very shiny with washing and zaino products but I can tell the imperfections are stacking up and soon, they will start to dull.

I was thinking about using the following, please tell me what you think about this:

wash,
    clay,
    scratchX on the lip,

after this, I'm not too sure what would be the best.

Since the wheels see more abuse than the paint, should I use a cleaner wax? Something like colorX?

Anyone else with multi-piece clearcoated polished aluminum wheels care to chime in? Again, I'm interested in whatever will repel brake dust the best as well as make future washings the easiest. (And stay shiny the longest )

Thank you.

-Mike
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Wired 24/7; Jun 27, 2006, 03:05 PM.
    2005 350Z Super Black Touring 6SPD - with swirls (soon to be removed)

Meguiar's doesn't make a paint protectant of any type that is specific t wheels. I don't think Zaino does either?

I think the problem, or the reason why for this is because of the temperatures wheels are exposed to due to braking over time. The point being that no topical sealant that is measured in thickness ranges of microns, is able to hold up to both the temperatures and of course, wheel cleaners and washing.

Some people do like to wax their wheels and feel that it provides the benefits you're looking for, but Meguiar's at this time does not make a wax specifically for wheel application.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Why does you phone take better pictures than my camera... Think I need to go shopping..

Well, you can certainly start off with a good paint cleaner since they are clearcoated. ScratchX is going to be the strongest by hand, though nothing dangerous of course. That will be good for a deeper cleaning. ColorX is also a good choice, though a touch milder.

Polishing wont have as visible of an effect, but would be good for the health of the paint. Using ColorX would certainly cover this step as well.

The only real way to try and make break dust / dirt wash off easily is to wax them. ColorX is a synthetic wax I believe, so it would be good. Nxt Tech Wax and #21 Synthetic Sealant would also be ok to try. People seem to think those last pretty well.

Now, if you choose to wax your wheels, you will only want to clean them with car wash soap and water. Using a wheel cleaning product, like the Multi-Piece or All-Wheel Cleaner will remove the wax.

I have used the Multi-Piece wheel cleaner, and really like it. And they say it is safer for disk break components as well.

Hope that is a start for you?
      Last edited by Murr1525; Jun 27, 2006, 03:23 PM.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

The Nxt Metal Polysh could also be a candidate as it is supposed to be safe for all finishes, including clearcoated aluminum.

Comment

I heard of some people here in Germany using a sealant (not from Meguiar's) for their rims and even their exhaust tips. They told me that it would work fine and would hold up to the temperatures. They apply it only once a year.
          I'll will try it this on my rims in autumn I think and perhaps on my dads exhaust tips if he lets me

Comment

Another option to waxing is regular cleaning of your wheels with NXT Speed Detailer or the regular Quik Detailer. Just spray the wheels and wipe them with the microfiber towel.

I've got white painted wheels on my MINI, and well to keep them white with the OEM brake pads, meant wiping them twice a day. I've since switched to aftermarket pads and I wipe them once every few days now.

By doing this regularly, I can often skip the QD and just wipe them with a MF towel. The brakedust just wipes right off with no resistance--just as if the surface were waxed.

I much prefer this method to waxing since I'm both cleaning and protecting the wheels in one step.

Great cell phone pix by the way! LOL.
            Richard Lin
            ShowCarDetailing
            5548 E. La Palma Ave
            Anaheim, CA 92807
            toll free: 866 707 9292

Comment

Also consider #20 for the wheels. Very easy to use, and very durable. It does have some cleaners in it too, although they are mild.

RamAirV1
              2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
              2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I appreciate all the replies. Thanks guys.

And my response to some specific comments...

The Nxt Metal Polysh could also be a candidate as it is supposed to be safe for all finishes, including clearcoated aluminum.
                I don't know... something about putting "metal polish" on clearcoat doesn't sound right. I wouldn't put metal polish on the car's paint so I doubt I will use this.

The only real way to try and make break dust / dirt wash off easily is to wax them. ColorX is a synthetic wax I believe, so it would be good. Nxt Tech Wax and #21 Synthetic Sealant would also be ok to try. People seem to think those last pretty well.
                I already have some colorX so I might go for it. #20 and #21 sound interesting but I'd rather use a product I own already.

Another option to waxing is regular cleaning of your wheels with NXT Speed Detailer or the regular Quik Detailer. Just spray the wheels and wipe them with the microfiber towel.

I've got white painted wheels on my MINI, and well to keep them white with the OEM brake pads, meant wiping them twice a day. I've since switched to aftermarket pads and I wipe them once every few days now.
                Yes, I've been using zaino Z-6 which is very similar to meguiars QD with decent results. It is great at keeping the surface smooth so it traps less brake dust, and the smoother the surface, the easier to wipe. But it does nothing for cleaning so thats why I'm looking into the scratchX and/or colorX.

For the record, this is my second set of aftermarket pads. The OEM pads on the 350Z are horrible at dusting. I switched to an ultra-low dust pad but the braking performance was horrible. After that I got the slotted rotors you see in the pics, different aftermarket pads, and SS brake lines. It's a great compromise in braking performance as well as medium dusting.

So... I guess the current plan is:

clay,
                scratchX,
                spot check some colorX ... and we'll go from there.

Most likely I'll keep touching up with Z-6 because that's what I already have on hand. I can't tell the difference between Z-6 and meguiar's QD, it seems about the same to me.

Also consider #20 for the wheels. Very easy to use, and very durable. It does have some cleaners in it too, although they are mild.

RamAirV1
                Off topic, but how do you like your goat? Cool car
                Last edited by Wired 24/7; Jun 27, 2006, 09:07 PM.

Comment

My point is that if you do regular cleaning of the wheels, they won't get dirty enough to have to use a wheel cleaner. I've got 61,000 miles on my white wheels and they don't look it at all. I've only had to use Meguiars car wash soap to clean them while washing them. However, let brake dust sit on the wheels for a week or more, and you'll have to use something more powerful to clean them.

Richard

Originally posted by Wired 24/7 Yes, I've been using zaino Z-6 which is very similar to meguiars QD with decent results. It is great at keeping the surface smooth so it traps less brake dust, and the smoother the surface, the easier to wipe. But it does nothing for cleaning so thats why I'm looking into the scratchX and/or colorX. [/B]
                  Richard Lin
                  ShowCarDetailing
                  5548 E. La Palma Ave
                  Anaheim, CA 92807
                  toll free: 866 707 9292

Comment

Wired 24/7 : "I don't know... something about putting "metal polish" on clearcoat doesn't sound right. I wouldn't put metal polish on the car's paint so I doubt I will use this."

I understand your apprehension concerning the use of this product, so I figured I would include this info from Meguiars.com. It is their description for the Nxt All Metal Polysh, which recieves great comments from its users (I have not used it yet).

"NXT Generation All Metal Polysh cleans, polishes, and protects all wheels, stainless steel exhausts, chrome air intakes and valve covers, aluminum, brass, copper, silver and all other bright work components. Meguiar’s Microscopic Diminishing Abrasive Technology (MDAT) removes built-up oxidation, tarnishing, and staining faster and safer than traditional harsh abrasives. Anti-corrosive technology locks in the shine. Use a High Tech Applicator Pad or Even Coat Applicator to apply and remove residue with an Ultra Plush Super Terry or Supreme Shine Microfiber."

I do not know whether or not this would be a better option than using paint protection products, but this product is known to give finishes a great shine, which I would guess you would appreciate.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Comment

Originally posted by matt colvin

I understand your apprehension concerning the use of this product, so I figured I would include this info from Meguiars.com. It is their description for the Nxt All Metal Polysh, which recieves great comments from its users (I have not used it yet).
                      Let us know what you decide to do. [/B]
                      Again, if none of you guys would use the metal pol"y"sh on your car's paint, then I would not use it on my wheels. Call me "A.R." but they were expensive and I don't plan to test any product on the wheels that I don't already know the result of.

I was quickly doing a brake dust wipe today, using Z-6, and I looked very closely at the clearcoat. There are definitely a few fine scratches and there is a little bit of pitting in places. I plan to take some before/after pics with scratchX and colorX, but (a) I'm leaving for hawaii and I'll be gone a week and (b) I may have difficulty taking good pics, because my digital camera tends to focus on the reflections and not the surface.

Oh well, stay tuned for results in ~1 week
                      Last edited by Wired 24/7; Jun 28, 2006, 05:48 PM.

Comment

How about the Michelin stuff.

Hear is break Dust repellant. I use this stuff. It seems to be okay leaving my wheels shinny and the break dust comes off fine with just car soap and a different wash mitt.

I use a different bucket for wheels though.

Justin

Comment

lol, ok. I hope everything works out for you. Anxious to see the results.

btw, the Nxt polish really is spelled pol"y"sh, lol.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');